“Persona 3 Reload”: A fantastic remake that nails turn-based combat

Persona+3+Reload+is+a+thoroughly+enjoyable+remake+of+the+PlayStation+2+game+that+has+exciting+turn-based+combat+and+impressive+visuals.+
Kelly Quinn
“Persona 3 Reload” is a thoroughly enjoyable remake of the PlayStation 2 game that has exciting turn-based combat and impressive visuals.

The original “Persona 3” was developed by Atlus and released in 2006 for the PlayStation 2 (PS2), and soon after, fans were begging for a remake on modern platforms. These hopes were finally answered on Feb. 1, 2024, as “Persona 3 Reload” is a fantastic new rendition of the game. This remake improves upon and streamlines a variety of mechanics from the first game, making it the ideal way to play “Persona 3.”

The game follows a student (Akira Ishida) in the process of transferring to a new school, which the player has the option of naming. The protagonist moves into a dorm with other students his age and very quickly, things seem amiss. He quickly discovers the reason as to why, when the clock strikes 12 a.m., an event called the Dark Hour occurs where dangerous monsters called Shadows descend upon the land.

However, Ishida and the other students in the dorm have the ability to call upon a Persona, a manifestation of a character’s personality and allows them to fight back against the shadows. Using this ability, the main characters must figure out the mysteries behind the Dark Hour and how they can stop it.

“Persona 3 Reload” features turn-based combat, meaning the player decides what moves they’ll make, while the enemy does the same. Oftentimes, this style of combat can get very dull and feel more like a chore than anything else, but in “Persona 3,” the transition from exploration to combat is so quick to the point that it never gets boring.

On top of that, it is beyond satisfying for users when the player manages to hit all enemies with the element that they’re weak to, allowing for an all-out attack and an automatic victory.

Another area where “Persona 3 Reload” excels are the visuals. While it’s obviously a vast improvement over the original game, another game to compare it to is the most recent “Persona” game, “Persona 5.” Comparing the two side by side, it’s clear that the “Persona 3 Reload” is the superior game when it comes to looks. Of course. they have similar art styles, but where “Persona 3 Reload” shines is in the lighting and shading of each area, making the experience much more enjoyable.

While there aren’t any major issues with “Persona 3 Reload,” there are definitely some annoyances. One of these being a plethora of text and dialogue, which can be a bit tiresome at times for players.

The pacing is also off. Sometimes the story feels stagnant, while other times, many important events will happen within a very short period of each other. The story, in general, is disjointed at times, however it still remains very entertaining and has well written characters.

These observations aside, “Persona 3 Reload” is a fantastic remake and also just an engaging game. It’s perfect for fans of Japanese role playing games (JRPG), or for people who’re looking to get into this genre of games.