Girls’ soccer loses in final minute against Fillmore Flashes


Aidan Gomez

Maddie Wicks ’26 (number 2) tries to stop her opponent’s efforts to send the ball upfield.

Nisha Reddy, Reporter

On the chilly night of Dec. 16, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) Dragons girls’ soccer team went up against the Fillmore High School Flashes (Fillmore) in one of the most intense games of preseason. Despite goals being scored left and right, Foothill Tech unfortunately lost 4-3 by a goal scored by Fillmore in the last minute of the game.

Cameryn Henuber ‘24 expressed the expectations for the Dragons before the game, “We knew it was going to be a tough game. We were told they were going to play dirty, but we still all had high hopes.”

The game started off with the Flashes getting the kick off. The Dragons lagged behind, allowing the Flashes to push up the field and score in the first two minutes of the game.  The Flashes stayed aggressive and after two attacks were thwarted by the Dragons, they managed to finish another goal.

Cameryn Henuber ’24 (number 14) steals the ball from her opponent and passes it upfield to her teammates in an attempt to score a goal. (Aidan Gomez)

The ball was kicked around the crowded box, before it just barely slipped past the Dragon keeper’s hands, leaving the score at 2-0, Flashes. 

The Dragons had a shot attempt when Maddie Wicks ‘26 opened a give-and-go to Taylor Liston ‘24, while Liston shot and just missed over the goal.

Wicks commented on the team play, “Communication on our team needs to be better. We’ve been working on it at practice and it’s definitely getting better. So, before our season starts we’ll be ready.”

The ball movement looked better for the Dragons, as the ball moved swiftly between players, but the ball stayed on Fillmore’s offensive side for the remainder of the first half. 

Foothill Tech got their chance when they drew a foul in the box on a corner kick. Lily Shadden ’23 took the penalty kick and made it, ending the half in cheers for the Dragons. 

Mikayla Pecchi ’25 retreats back on defense and cuts her opponent off from centering the ball into the middle for a possible goal. (Aidan Gomez)

The Dragons momentum continued and they opened up the second half with a free kick goal from Liston after getting fouled at the 35 yard line. 

 Fillmore quickly put on the gas, and one player moved the ball down the field before finishing a goal against the Dragons. Soon after, the Flashes took another shot attempt, but Lupita Gonzalez ‘24 punched the ball up and out.

Down once again, the Dragons refused to back down. Claire Meehan ‘23 took a shot, but the ball bounced off of the goalkeeper’s hand and Tyler Hickerson ‘26 followed it up and scored. The score was tied at 3-3 with little time left.

In the last two minutes of the game, Fillmore dribbled the ball down the side, crossed it to the middle and just barely snatched a goal, defeating the Dragons in a heartbreaking 4-3 game. 

Liston reflected on the exciting start of the season, “Personally, I am excited for league, especially because we are going to have a lot of our players back that have been hurt and sick.”

The Dragons will have their first league game on Jan. 5 against Santa Clara High School on their home field at Ventura College.

What do you think?