Girls’ golf bests competition at Ventura City Championship

Aidan Gomez

Piper Singleton ’24 getting ready to tee up on the sixteenth hole.

Theo Kayser, Reporter

On the warm afternoon of Wednesday, Aug. 31, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) girls’ golf team took to the Buenaventura Golf Course to face off against in-town rivals Ventura High School (Ventura) and Buena High School (Buena) for the Ventura City Championship. Following a break from the event due to restrictions stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic, the three schools tee’d off the event for the first time in two years. 

By the end of the nine hole match, Foothill Tech came out on top with a score of 228, just edging out Buena’s second place score of 231. 

Despite the win, Sophia Lewis ‘23 took note of the close score and said the team has room to grow in the future by caring about “every shot and really focusing because it matters.”

Individually, several Dragons shined as well. First place was snatched by Lewis, who scored a one over par, shooting 36. Teammates Piper Singleton ‘24 and Audrey Yoong ‘26 also came to play, as Singleton finished close behind in second place by scoring a two over par, and Yoong, competing in her first ever event, finished in third with a score of 40.

Performances from young teammates such as Yoong were highlighted by Lewis who noted, “ . . . they’re all pretty new to the sport and they all did really well.” When later commenting on the future of the program, Lewis added that “they all have pretty good potential to make [Foothill Tech] as good as it used to be.”

Following this impressive start to the season, the Dragons will look to continue their winning ways when facing off against La Reina High School on Sept. 15, again at Buenaventura Golf Course.