Back to School Night gives parents a glimpse into their students lives

Siena Hager

Parents visit with the various student-run booths

Olivia Zoll, Reporter

On the evening of Thursday, Sep. 19, parents had the opportunity to step into their child’s shoes for a school day at Foothill Technology High School. This event, known as Back to School Night, is put on by the Associated Student Body (ASB) annually to acquaint parents with their students’ schedules and meet their various teachers.

Assistant Principal Katie Tedford was the predominant planner of the night. Her main goal when planning was to “make sure that the parents were aware of the event” along with “ensuring that anyone who wanted to have representation, such as clubs, could be here so that our parents could have access to them.” 

The quad was undeniably filled with school spirit, represented by a handful of different tables ran by Foothill students. These tables, including Yearbook, the Bioscience Academy, Art Club, Journalism, Dtech, Advancement via Individual Determination (AVID) and Drama Club, were present to inform and introduce parents to all the happenings at Foothill. 

After a hearty dinner of tacos, parents were then invited to start their evening as a Foothill student, traveling from class to class and following the bell schedule. Many teachers went over their syllabus and main goal for the year in addition to explaining classroom rules and policies. Parents had the opportunity to ask questions and voice any concerns they might have. 

After the first half of classes, everyone came together in the quad, where they were provided coffee, tea and cookies, courtesy of the Parent Faculty Student Organization (PFSO). In addition, Foothill school and sports spirit wear were available to purchase. 

The second half of classes then commenced, and periods 4-6 visitation took place. 

Science teacher Dan Baker thinks Back to School night is beneficial to parents because they can “see firsthand what the school is all about, what the teachers provide for the students and how they can help [their student].”

Likewise, Math teacher Michelle Frumkin thinks it is important for parents to put “a face to a name” while meeting and interacting with their student’s teachers.

Principal Joe Bova believes that Back to School Night is really a time for “Foothill to shine” and to gain trust from parents and the community.