Girls’ basketball wins handily in first home game of the season

Credit: Abigail Massar / The Foothill Dragon Press

https://vimeo.com/199061252

With preseason games building up the hype to the girls’ basketball 2017 season, the Dragons didn’t disappoint by winning their home opener over the Carpinteria Warriors 57-22. After winning their league last season and being moved up into a new league, Foothill looks to continue their dominance into this new year.

While the Dragons won the opening tip, Carpinteria struck first with a floater in the lane for two points and the lead. Abby Sourwine ’19 quickly tied the game with a layup at 2-2. The next play, Abby Bova ’19 chased down an offensive rebound and hit the short jump shot.

A few plays later, Sourwine hit Annika Kinnaman ’19 on a back door cut for a layup to give the Dragons a 10-3 lead. Kinnaman doesn’t think that they played “one of their better games,” but was proud of the way that the Dragons “played a lot better in the second half.”

To start the second quarter, Sourwine made four consecutive free throws to put the Dragons up 14-3, but the Warriors quickly responded with a layup on the fast break. Katie Bova ’19 and Emiline Bova ’19 each hit two midrange jumpers to extend the lead to 18-6, and Abby Bova followed it up with a steal and layup putting the score at 20-8. Sourwine hit a jumper to end the half leaving Foothill up 22-8.

Abby Bova felt that the Dragons “had a slow first half” and Kinnaman felt that they “struggled to do things defensively and make shots offensively.” Coach Jason Edgmond didn’t think the team “executed the gameplan well in the first half,” and that they “weren’t moving the ball the way they should have offensively.”

To start the second half, Emiline Bova hit a three pointer, but Carpinteria retaliated with a three pointer of their own. Sourwine then hit a hook shot, and had an assist to Maddie Ozbourn ’19 on the next play, putting the score at 29-11. Katie, Abby, and Emiline Bova hit three consecutive jump shots and the score was 36-11. Ozbourn finished the quarter with an and-one leaving them up on top 40-14.

Sourwine started the fourth quarter with five points and an assist, and Katie Bova hit another jumper. Carpinteria went on an 8-0 run, but the Dragons finished the game with a winning score of 57-22.

Sourwine finished with 19 points, 5 assists, and 8 rebounds, a game that Edgmond described as “monster.” Abby Bova, who put up 8 points, 4 assists, 9 rebounds, and 4 steals, said that Sourwine was “amazing and played well the whole game.”

Emiline Bova had 12 points and 7 steals, and Katie Bova had 8 points and 3 blocks.

Edgmond thinks that the girls “didn’t play the best game,” but that “they will, they just have to keep getting better everyday.”