Rave life experienced firsthand

Recently, I crossed yet another thing off my bucket list: going to a rave. Over the past few years, I have heard mixed reviews about raves: one side describes them as fun and enjoyable, ways to hear new music, meet new people and dance, while the opposing side describes them as a weird, ecstasy fest. So I decided to find out for myself, by attending the Bliss Festival, a smaller, local rave, at the Ventura Theater on Sunday, February 20th.

The first thing that stood out to me at the event was the wardrobe choice of all the attendees. Outfits ranged from jeans and t-shirts all the way to color-coordinating rave costumes. I saw some girls clad in a style comparable to that of Lady Gaga, and blowouts that put DJ Pauly D to shame. Almost everyone there was wearing kandi, a type of bracelet, usually handmade from colorful beads.

I learned a lot within my first hour at the rave. For example, I did not know too much about the DJs playing at the event, but I did enjoy their music, and dancing to it. Once I got home, I looked into the music played more. I also learned to shuffle, which, to my surprise, is actually harder than it looks.

One thing I was particularly surprised about was the general friendliness of those attending the event. I have been to several concerts and large public events in my life, for example, the Ventura County Fair or the Van Warped Tour, and, while  most attendees at these events were decent to be around, they definitely had a more hostile attitude- there was pushing and shoving, cutting in line, and disrespect to others around them.

However, at this rave, everyone I spoke to was genuinely nice. By the end of the night, I had shaken hands with well over a dozen people, received many compliments on my outfit, and danced with several people I had just met. Everyone there appeared to really follow the “P.L.U.R.”- standing for peace, love, unity and respect- attitude that the raver lifestyle advocates.

The biggest controversy regarding raves, though, is their notorious reputation for the drug use of those attending the events, the most common drug being ecstasy. In all honesty, I saw that several people around me showed signs of using this drug. However, it was far from being the “drug fest” that many described it to be. I spoke to quite a few people who were completely sober, and said that they chose to come because they liked the music and the positive vibes at raves.

So should you give this experience a try? That depends. If you dislike loud, techno music, staying out late, crowds, and bright lights, this may not be for you. Otherwise, I suggest giving this a try, even if it’s just for the sake of being able to say you tried it. I definitely had a fun time. I can’t say that I will go to raves consistently, or again anytime soon- they can be expensive, and are often further away (usually in the Los Angeles area)- but I can say that by actually experiencing this event firsthand, I have a new perspective on raves and the ravers who attend them.