Second annual Pride Prom gives confidence to GSA community (19 photos)

Sophomore Susannah Chilton and junior Kristina Garcia dance the night away at Pride Prom. Credit: Stevi Pell/The Foothill Dragon Press

The Poinsettia Pavilion was a buzz with dozens of rainbow balloons, flashing lights, and formally dressed LGBT supporters on Friday night. Bustling since 7 p.m., the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender community and GSA supporters were able to express themselves freely in a fun environment.

The whole idea of the event is for the students to feel pride in who they are, hence the name.

The idea of the Pride Prom has been done sporadically in the past, but in the past two years it has become a newly honored tradition.

Seniors Elizabeth Riddle, Marisa Martinez, and Mariela Camacho as well as the rest of Foothill’s LGBT club have been planning this event since February, fundraising with projects such as community yard sales.

The money from the Pride Prom entry tickets goes purely to pay off the event itself.

Attendants were encouraged to bring food, desserts, and beverages to assist in catering the event although participation was completely voluntary. Tables were filled with candy, sweets, pizza, burritos, and soda galore.

“Its amazing to see it all come together, finally… It’s almost nostalgic. I’ve wanted it for too long, but its great to see it finally happen,” Martinez said. “You can’t have this kind of passion at regular prom.”

The staff was delighted by the turn out of people who came from all of the high schools in the district.

“Its almost maybe a little bit better than regular prom,” said Riddle. “Its not as open at regular prom. [Here they can] be confident because the atmosphere feels safe and open.”

They pride themselves on the fact that this event acts as a “safe zone” for members of the LGBT community and supporters. “Its supposed to be fun and freeing,” said Martinez.

Students spiritedly danced to swing, classic rock, and party anthems until 10 p.m. The occasion was full of constant conga lines, brilliant smiles, and the embracing of friends and loved ones to celebrate individuality.

Camacho said, “It is over way too soon, but it is definitely worth the wait.”

Credit: Stevi Pell/The Foothill Dragon Press