Juniors have opportunity to shadow medical professionals in action

Junior Norint Tung is one of the juniors in Bioscience who is participating in job shadows this week. Credit: Aysen Tan/The Foothill Dragon Press

Juniors of the Bioscience Academy were bustling around campus sporting black scrubs as they came from and prepared to leave for job shadows provided by the Ventura County Medical Center.

Beginning on April 8 and lasting through April 19, the shadows allow Foothill students interested in careers in the medical field to see what certain medical jobs are actually like by “shadowing” workers of those professions.

Carly Camarillo was among the first group of students to go and she enjoyed her experience in the OBGYN.

“I got to go in with the doctor and nurse and see the patients,” Camarillo said.  “I signed up for family care because I want to be a pediatric nurse,” Camarillo said.

While Camarillo knows the career she will pursue, she felt it gave her more perspective on her chosen field.

“I liked to see the patient to doctor interaction and exploring my other options has given me a broader view on what I want to be,” she said.

Noah Davis is enrolled in the Bioscience Academy, but has no intention on ending up in the medical field. Davis simply finds the subject to be highly interesting.

“I went to the lab at VCMC. We visited all the departments but at the hematology department the ‘R2D2’ machines, they were called, the machines did blood counts,” he said.

Davis is excited for his remaining three shadows including visiting an orthopedic surgeon, an oral surgeon, and emergency medical services.

Due to Science Department chair Darcy Duffy’s absence for maternity leave, job developer Karrie Carey organized all job shadows this year. Carey feels these experiences are an important step for students to learn their strengths before entering the field.

“Who wants to pay for medical school only to find out afterward that you faint at the sight of blood?” Carey said. “Shadows provide an opportunity for students to observe surgeries first-hand, experience the chaos of an emergency room, see medicines being mixed in a hospital pharmacy, and much more.”

Carey not only organized the job shadows for the academy students, but also brought in career speakers for all students to sign up to listen to. She feels lucky to have local hospitals willing to engage students who are eager to learn.

“Job shadows are an invaluable part of the Bioscience program. They [the students] also have an opportunity to interface with doctors, nurses, and other staff to find out the pros and cons of each area, and benefit from the wisdom and advice of these gracious members of our community. Foothill is fortunate to have a partnership with many local providers and facilities such as Ventura County Medical Center and Community Memorial Hospital, who offer these shadows to our Bioscience students,” she said.