Foothill goes into lockdown early Monday afternoon after man with paintball gun tries to get on bus

Police react to a man on a public bus near Foothill who threatened a bus driver with a fake gun earlier this afternoon. Credit: Victoria Bonds. Used with permission.

Foothill students and staff went into lockdown just after sixth period ended on Monday afternoon after adminstrators received a call informing them of a suspected gunman in front of Ventura College.

According to officials, a man on a local transit bus headed towards the Pacific View Mall threatened the bus driver with a paintball gun.

Immediately after learning of the situation, technology coordinator Melissa Wantz ushered the students waiting outside the front of the school into the office while administrators sent out the lockdown signal to the rest of the classrooms.

“There were some teachers who were going all out in panic, but although I was a bit nervous at first, I felt very comforted by Mrs. Hunt and Mr. Frazier,” said junior Mallory McPherson-Wehan, who was at school this afternoon during the lockdown. “It was actually quite organized. I was surprised.”

Campus security was never breached during the lockdown, and no students were injured. The suspect cooperated with Ventura police officials and is now in custody.

“Administrators responded in text book fashion, no pun intended, with everyone doing exactly as they should have to ensure the safety of the students and staff,” Campus Supervisor Dana Eaton said. “At no time did I feel as though our students were in any danger, as the lock down was handled very well, with all of our students responding appropriately.”

Editor’s note: Assistant Editor in Chief Allison Clark contributed to the reporting of this article.