College Day presents seniors with diverse options

Foothill seniors attend College Day to learn about possible choices for future education. Credit: Natalie Smith/The Foothill Dragon Press

On Tuesday, Foothill seniors were presented with various potential paths for their future education during College Day. They were spoken to by representatives fron UCSB, Ventura College, the military, Adult Education, and by advocates of taking a gap year.

In years past, students had Career Day, which exposed them to different professionals who informed the students about their particular job. The recent change has been made so that students experience College Day instead.

“A lot of seniors are very busy and they tend to try and get out of career day, and I was clued into the fact that this time of year there is a lot going on with college applications, so we just wanted to make it as valuable as possible to the seniors,” Foothill Job Developer Karrie Thompson-Carey said. 

The seniors themselves tended to agree and appreciated the change from previous years.

“After a certain point, we really want to focus more on the next step which is college for a lot of us, and I feel like if we are just looking at careers we’re overlooking the fact that a lot of us still do go to college,” said senior Christopher Hanna.

However, College Day did bring up some complaints, mainly about the options provided.

“I wish there was a more diverse amount of colleges, there was only one UC, and the private schools themselves did not particularly appeal to me,” senior Adam Braver said.

Overall, College Day gave the seniors a chance to hear about diverse choices for their future education, and seemed to be a great alternative to the usual Career Day. 

“Many of us are looking towards not really what job we necessarily want, as much as the college we are wanting to get into, and so College Day is a great way to have that happen,” Braver said.