Seniors create first time capsule at picnic (23 photos)

Seniors Trevor Kirby and Shaena Singer tape Foothill's first time capsule at the senior picnic. Credit: Bethany Fankhauser/The Foothill Dragon Press.
Seniors Trevor Kirby and Shaena Singer tape Foothill’s first time capsule at the senior picnic. Credit: Bethany Fankhauser/The Foothill Dragon Press.

Seniors placed broken iPods, TOMS shoes, photos, joke books, lunch boxes, and athletic team memoralbia in Foothill’s first time capsule Monday before taping it closed it at the Senior Picnic.

The Class of 2012 gathered at Arroyo Verde Park to celebrate the end of their high school years at Foothill with a picnic.

“Each student selected an item to put in.” senior advisor Melanie “Captain” Lindsey said. “They also wrote a letter to themselves in 10 years which they will receive back at their 10-year reunion.”

Senior Taylor Rios enjoyed the idea of the time capsule and put in his broken iPod Touch.

“The iPod Touch is symbolic because it has my agenda on it and all the notes I have taken for class and the social media app for my friends and photos and so it summarizes my high school life,” he said. “I like this because it is new and at our 10-year reunion we will have something to look back with and talk about.”

Seniors John Sheehy, Eric Birdsall, and Connor Fenwick also selected items that represented part of their high school experience to place in the time capsule.

“I put a water polo team picture because I had a lot of good experiences on the team and I really had a good time in athletics so I thought it was a significant part of my high school experience.” said Birdsall.

Sheehy put in a soccer ball that signifies his experience as a member of the of the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) team. Fenwick chose to put in his senior picture.

When they were not adding items to the time capsule, seniors played football and relaxed before their upcoming graduation on Wednesday. The students sat together talking, laughing and enjoying a catered lunch from Wood Ranch.

“I love picnics and I love how there are no ants trying to eat my food,” said Fenwick jokingly.

Credit: Bethany Fankhauser/The Foothill Dragon Press