Natalie Waechter will spend summer keeping beach goers safe

Junior Natalie Waechter will be a California State Lifeguard over the summer. Credit: Felicia Perez/The Foothill Dragon Press

Junior Natalie Waechter will be spending her summer in a standard Californian vacation spot—the beach. She will be working all summer as a California State Park Lifeguard.

“Ever since I was nine I was a Junior Lifeguard, and I always dreamed of being a tower lifeguard at the beach,” Waechter said.

The long application process began with the 40 interviewees completing a physical test of swimming and running, followed by a sit-down interview. Waechter and the other seven applicants that were chosen will go through lifeguard training and written tests. Although previous certification in first aid is not required, it will be taught as part of the training process.

When applying to be a lifeguard, strong swimming skills are an important requirement, and swimming is the most demanding part of the tryout process. The applicants must be able to swim 1,000 yards in under 20 minutes.

Beginning June 19, Waechter will spend four days every week at the beach, available as a lifeguard to anyone who may need assistance. She will be placed at any one of the state beaches, including Marina Park, San Pedro, and Emma Wood.

After arriving at the beach in the morning, Waechter will spend most of the day in her lifeguard tower.

“I will go check in, go to my tower, sit in the tower, watch the water, stare at the water some more, make rescues if needed,” Waechter said. “Just really watching the beach and making sure everyone’s having a good day, and making sure they’re safe.”

Waechter is looking forward to working all day at the beach this summer at her “dream job.”