Students remember and fight back at Relay for Life (20 photos)

Sophomores Casey Collet (left) and Tara Yanez (right) participate in Relay for Life this past weekend. Credit: Felicia Perez/The Foothill Dragon Press

Hope and remembrance filled the Buena High School track for Relay for Life on Saturday.

Relay for Life is a global event hosted by hundreds of cities every year to celebrate cancer survivors, remember those who lost their battle with the disease, and to fight back against cancer by raising funds to find a cure.

Booths, food, games, and other activities lined the track. At the event, every participant was part of a team. Each team hosted a booth and always has at least one member walking around the track for the duration of the event.

Many Foothill students participated in the event through the Foothill team, their own teams they formed with friends, or the KIWINS club’s team.

“I think it [Relay for Life] is important because everyone in Ventura who has been affected can come together, and I think it’s great that the schools are involved,” said Foothill junior Emily Park.

Park is the president of KIWINS, Foothill’s community service club. This is the first year the club has been a part of the event, but she thinks that it will become something that they will participate in every year.

Everyone had their own reason for being a part of the Relay for Life. For sophomore Emily Sim, who is also a member of KIWINS, it was to be a part of finding the cure for cancer.

“I like coming because it’s really fun, it’s great to see so many people who care about the same cause- a cure for cancer. It’s amazing,” Sim said.

For others, like sophomores Shannon Thirion and Karina Schink, Relay for Life is more personal. Thirion came to remember her aunt and her friend Jeannette, both of whom lost their battles with cancer. Schink has been a part of Relay for Life for a few years. For her, it is to honor the three friends she has lost to cancer, and every year she walks beside her mother in the survivor’s lap, when those who have beaten cancer are invited to walk around the track.

“I think it’s important to raise awareness. I think that over the years people forget, and this is a good reminder,” said Schink.

Credit: Felicia Perez/The Foothill Dragon Press