Senior Pride Lunch brings the Class of 2016 together

The Class of 2016 shuffled out of Foothill’s classrooms and enjoyed the Senior Pride Lunch in the sun this Wednesday. Due to juniors and sophomores taking the PSAT, the senior class had an unique schedule for their Senior Pride Lunch. Seniors were treated to a 9:00 AM late start morning.

Seniors were treated to lunch after watching presentations to help them succeed in college. Credit: Julie Knowles/The Foothill Dragon Press
Seniors Austin Pecoraro (left) and Blake Talaugon (right), along with the rest of the senior class, were treated to lunch after watching presentations to help them succeed in college. Credit: Julie Knowles/The Foothill Dragon Press

The Class of 2016 shuffled out of Foothill’s classrooms and enjoyed the Senior Pride Lunch in the sun this Wednesday.

Due to juniors and sophomores taking the PSAT, the senior class had an unique schedule for their Senior Pride Lunch. Seniors were treated to a 9:00 AM late start morning. Upon arriving at school, the seniors headed to Spirito Hall to listen to a presentation given by Jake Ducey about travel, foreign culture, the future and finding purpose in life.

Senior Sachi Tan enjoys a Corrales burritos with other seniors before beginning team bonding activities. Credit: Julie Knowles/The Foothill Dragon Press

“I thought he sent a very good message about how you should do stuff that makes you happy,” senior Paige Boyer said.

Once Ducey completed his hour-long presentation, the senior class headed out of Spirito Hall for a brief 15-minute break.

When the break ended, the seniors went to one of four seminars: “How to choose the right college,” “How to succeed in college, ” “Vocational training” or Mathematics, Engineering, Science Achievement (MESA).

After the seminars, the seniors headed off to the front of the campus to take their senior panorama.

When the seniors finished their class panorama, the Senior Pride Lunch began. The seniors were treated to Corrales burritos as well as chips and guacamole from Chipotle.

Part of the quad was sectioned off for the seniors to eat with their peers. While some seniors were eating, others were participating in team bonding exercises. Teams would stand on two wooden planks and coordinate taking each step together. The team who could coordinate each step the most efficiently won the race.

“It’s nice to have a little bit of a break in the middle of the week,” senior Karina Cole said.

Between the food and the team building, the main purpose of this lunch was to bring the senior class together.

“The whole plan is the cohesion of the class,” Associated Student Body (ASB) advisor Melanie “Captain” Lindsey said.

Once the festivities were finished, the senior class headed to the Black Box to receive an overview of the “Dragons Talks” project. The “Dragon Talks” are a project that the Senior Class does every year that emulates the famous TED talks.

The senior class took a personality test, grouping people into several different colors: orange, blue, gold, and green. Each color was indicative of a person’s personality. For example, people assigned the color blue are emotionally based and enjoy helping other.

The purpose of the test was to help the seniors narrow down their topic for their “Dragon Talks.” A “blue” person would be advised to take on a topic such as social justice or other topics that involve helping others.