Girls’ water polo dominates Villanova on Senior Night 21-7

Rihanna Samples
Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) girls waterpolo matched up against Villanova Preparatory School (Villanova) in a highly anticipated match to honor their seniors. Foothill Tech started off strong by winning the initial sprint to the ball, followed by immediate goals from Lauren Happle ‘26 and Alice Costa-Schmidt ‘25. That intensity was continued throughout the whole game as Foothill Tech finished with a winning score of 21-7.
Kathleen Cheng

With spirits high and teams pumped up, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) girls’ water polo team faced Villanova Preparatory High School (Villanova) at the Ventura Aquatic Center for a much anticipated Senior Night. The game was in celebration of the Dragon’s departing seniors, Stephanie Botello ‘24 and Emily Vasquez ‘24. Throughout the game, Foothill Tech maintained control and ultimately triumphed 21-7 over Villanova.

Foothill Tech held their momentum and command over the game throughout the four quarters.. Botello commented, “I think that game was our personal best … We all worked really hard as a team. Our communication was on point.”

Against Villanova’s defense, Emily Vazquez ’24 looks for someone to pass the ball to in hopes of scoring another goal for the Dragons. (Kathleen Cheng)

This was highlighted through the Dragons seamless teamwork and chemistry in the pool which allowed smooth transitions between defense and offense, ultimately helping the Dragons find a successful balance between putting numbers onto the board while protecting their goalie.

Vasquez, another departing senior, experienced many memorable moments with the team, stating, “I’m gonna miss how heartfelt and how nice and inclusive they are, we’re just like one big family.”

After a hard-fought victory, memories were cherished and celebrated. The two seniors were commemorated for their hard work, dedication and overall journey with Foothill Tech with speeches and gifts.

The win closed out Foothill Tech’s league competition with a record of 2-6. The Dragons, with training and practice, although not progressing into CIF play, look to come back even stronger for another season in the following year.

With the season coming to an end, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) girls’ water polo team celebrates their victory in the last match and enjoys the company of the seniors. They each said a few sentences about their favorite memories, making jokes and ending the night with pizza and various desserts. (Kathleen Cheng)