Boys’ basketball shuts down Thacher in first league game

Lauren Kaller
On the chilly night of Jan. 10, 2024, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) boys’ basketball team started the new year strong, winning their first league game against the Thacher School (Thacher). Foothill Tech huddles up at the end of the first quarter with a quick motivational talk from their head coach Jamaal Brown. They lead the first quarter with a score of 11-10.

On the evening of Jan. 10, 2024, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) boys’ basketball team competed against the Thacher School (Thacher) in their first league game of their season. The game was marked by fierce competition between both teams, but despite Foothill Tech being down by nine points at the half, they clawed their way to the lead, ending the game with a score of 49-44.

Early in the game, both Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) and the Thacher School (Thacher) got into foul trouble, which impacted the end of the game heavily. With one second left on the clock and Foothill Tech leading with a score of 47-44, Ashton Brown ’26 (number 11) makes two free throws ultimately securing the win with a final score of 49-44. (Lauren Kaller)

The first quarter started with Nick Drucker ‘26 and Ashton Brown ‘26 as they strategically scored to put Foothill Tech four points ahead. Thacher responded with a floater through the rim and a successful two shots after a foul to tie the game. Thacher continued with a successful lay-up, but with a mid-range jumper made by Drucker, the score was kept even.

After two successive fouls, Thacher scored another two points making the score 6-8. Following this, Brown pulled up and drilled a deep three to keep Foothill Tech in the lead. Thatcher contested their lead with a lay-up, but after a foul on Brown and two successful free-throws, Foothill Tech finished the first quarter ahead, 11-10.

Thacher started the second quarter by hitting a three pointer. Drucker responded in a similar manner when he shook his defender and drained a shot from behind the arc. After a brief exchange of points, as Drucker hit another three and Elijah Spencer ‘26 scored a lay-up, the score was 19-17. After a rush into the key by Thacher, Drucker endured a hard fall which momentarily took him out of the game.

Philip Blessum ’25 (number 33) high fives his teammate Eric Hernandez ’26 (number 24), as he takes a short rest from the fast paced game. The Dragons work to catch up after falling behind in the second quarter with a score of 21-30. However, even with multiple defensive stops from Luigirey Guce ’25 (number 1) and Jordan Banola-Castillo ’25 (number 3), the Dragons still fell short at the end of the third quarter with a score of 31-36. (Lauren Kaller)

Thacher quickly grasped their opportunity as they scored six times compared to Foothill Tech’s one shot made by Brown. After this brutal beating, the Dragons were down by nine points, 21-30.

In the third quarter, the Dragons clawed their way to try and close the score gap. Despite his hard fall, Drucker “put on [his] big boy pants” and got back in the game as he immediately slammed down two shots in a row for the Dragons. Thacher then scored a lay-up and drew a foul in which they gained one point off of the free throw. Drucker drew a foul as well, made both free throws and followed those up with a successful three pointer.

After a couple shots made by Thacher, Spencer drew a foul followed with one free throw. As the seconds clicked down before the quarter ended, Luigrey Guce ‘25 stole the ball from Thacher and sprinted down the court to score a buzzer beating lay-up.

The final quarter started with a foul drawn by Thatcher in which they made one free throw. Brown responded with a floater into the basket to bring the gap down to two points. Followed by yet another free throw made by Thacher, Guce and Drucker scored successive three pointers, which placed Foothill Tech in the lead, 41-38. Guce then increased this lead by draining a mid-range jumper.

Jordan Banola-Castillo ’25 skillfully maneuvers around his opponent, passing the ball to an open teammate toward the top of the key. Contributing to the defensive success of the game, Banola-Castillo had multiple defensive stops and worked to draw fouls from Thacher, which ultimately gave Foothill Tech a bonus throughout most of the game. (Lauren Kaller)

Drucker and Brown worked together as they made consecutive shots and free throws to widen the gap, which brought the score to 47-43. Brown sealed the deal by drawing the final foul and making another two successful free throws which ended the game in a score of 49-44.

Drucker, who scored 23 points, spoke on his expectations coming into the game by expressing, “We came to stomp on them.” With the Dragons fulfilling their prediction, head coach Jamaal Brown spoke on the victory with excitement, ”We got the dub … it sets us up, you want to get off in the league with a good start.”

The Foothill Tech boys’ basketball team will compete against Laguna Blanca School [Laguna Blanca] on Laguna Blanca’s home court on Jan. 12, 2024, where they look to build onto their current five game winning streak.

Saanvi Joshi