Boys’ basketball falls to St. Bonaventure 84 to 39

Saanvi Joshi
On the night of Dec. 5, 2023, Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) fought through a strenuous loss against nearby rival St. Bonaventure. Pictured above is Phillip Blessum ‘25 (number 33) who attempted to gain control of the ball at the start of the game.
Saanvi Joshi

On the evening of Dec. 5, 2023 Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) boys basketball team faced off against St. Bonaventure High School (Bonnie). Bonnie came out on top beating the Dragons 84-39 leaving the Dragons 1-6 so far this season.

Beginning the game Bonnie won the tip-off and hit a 3-pointer to take the lead right away, Foothill Tech’s Luigirey Guce ‘25 responded to Bonnie hitting a three, tying the score. After a defensive stop, Guce scored again taking the score to 5-3. Bonnie responded with consecutive baskets taking over the lead 9-5.

Bonnie began to pull away as they scored nine uncontested points taking their lead to 18-7. Ashton Brown ‘26 hit a last minute basket, attempting to close the gap forming in the score, however, the Dragons were unable to keep up as Bonnie went on another scoring streak to end the quarter 29-9.

Elijah Spencer ‘26 (number 42) secures the rebound and gains control of the ball, blocking his opponent from any attempt to regain possession. (Saanvi Joshi)

The Dragons came into the second quarter with a 3-pointer from Brown along with a free-throw from Jordan Banola-Castillo ‘25. However Bonnie was still beating the Dragons with the score now 35-13. With two baskets from Brown, a layup from Liam Macario ‘25 along with a free-throw from Eliga Spencer the Dragons ended the half with 21 points. However Bonnie continued to out score them now leading by 24 points 55-21.

When asked about what the team could improve on Castillo said, “transition layup, transition defense, springing back on defense and rebounding.”

Bonnie came out strong in the second half scoring 14 consecutive points, pushing their lead to 69-21. However, Brown, Guce and Nick Drucker ‘26 helped the Dragons close the lead by a couple of points, a three point play by Brown and a free-throw for the Dragons, bringing the score to 74-32.

Jordan Banola-Castillo ‘25 (number 3) scouts out for an open teammate to pass to, with steady hands, ready to throw the ball at any given moment. (Saanvi Joshi)

Bonnie’s lead was interrupted by a combination from Drucker with a 3-pointer and Guce with a layup and free-throw late in the game. The score was now 82-39 as the clock ran down and despite their efforts, the game ended with the Dragons down 45 points to Bonnie at 84-39.

In a post-game interview Brown spoke on the team’s performance, saying, “I think our intensity was good in the second half, no matter the score we didn’t let down”

Coach Jamaal Brown shared his thoughts on the game, commenting that, “the team fought for the entire 32 minutes, I thought they worked hard and stayed together and were positive.”

The Dragons will be competing next in the Ojai Valley Classic Tournament starting on Dec. 5. The tournament will be held at Thacher High School.