Girls’ volleyball beat by Bishop Diego 1-3 in hard fought game

Lauren Kaller
On Sept. 21, 2023, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) Girls Volleyball took a devastating loss of 3-1 in a league game against Bishop Diego High School. Students, Addi Fallon ’25, Zac Crist ’24 and Petra Falcocchia ’24, show their support with colorful face paint. Many students also dressed to the theme of the game, which was cowboys and cowgirls.

On the cloudy evening of Sept. 21, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) girls’ volleyball team faced off against Bishop Diego High School (Bishop Diego) in their second league game of the season. The Dragons played at the Cabrillo Middle School gym, but despite being on their home court, Foothill Tech lost 1-3, leaving them with a 1-4 record for league games this year.

Foothill Tech came out with enthusiastic energy in the first set as they took an early advantage at 8-6 and were playing well. The Dragons extended their lead to 14-8 with some massive spikes from Channing McClure ‘25.

However, Bishop Diego fought back to tie the set 17-17 and in a nail biting finish the Dragons prevailed 27-25, ending the game in a strong two point finish.

Morgan Houstan ‘25 spoke on the beginning of the game as she said, “I think we came out with a lot of energy and fought really hard.”

As the second set started, Foothill Tech’s crowd cheered loudly, the atmosphere of the gymnasium reflecting the tense energy of the game. Both The Dragons and Bishop Diego brought the heat, fighting evenly as the score was tied 19-19. In the end, Bishop Diego prevailed winning 23-25.

Coach David Benedik spoke on the first two sets as he commented, “we had some periods of really good play where we played together as a team, the first and second sets we played some of our best volleyball this season.”

During the beginning of the third set Foothill Tech supporters were forced to quiet down, dampening some of the electric atmosphere of the game. Despite this, Foothill Tech was not discouraged and went head-to-head with Bishop Diego to tie the score 8-8. However, Bishop Diego started to pull away, taking the score to 12-19. They held onto their seven point lead and took the win 18-25, now ahead up 2-1 in sets.

The Dragons came out flat on the fourth set as they instantly fell behind 2-7. The rest of the set followed in a similar fashion with a 12-25 loss in the final set, which gave Bishop Diego the overall win 3-1.

When asked about how the team could improve, McClure ‘25 said, “Not giving up. I mean we try so hard we win the first game, then we just lose the rest.”

The Dragons’ next game will be a home game against Laguna Blanca on Sept. 26 where the Dragons will hope to break their 0-4 losing streak.