Girls’ volleyball spiked on by St. Bonaventure

Kathleen Cheng
Isabella De La Rosa ’24 (number 3) and Charlis Swezy ’27 (number 1) block from the net, while Malia Gray ’24 (number 9) and Morgan Houston ’25 (number 2) stay behind to cover any unexpected plays from the other team.

On the brisk evening of Sept. 12, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) girls’ volleyball team faced off against Saint Bonaventure (Bonnie) in their second league game of the year. The Dragons played at the Cabrillo Middle School gym, but despite the home court advantage, the Dragons were swept 3-0 by Bonnie.

The first set began in Foothill Tech’s favor as they took the first point of the game. The Dragons then took the lead 7-3, yet Bonnie was quick to respond, tying the game up 8-8. The set continued to go back and forth leaving the spectators on the edge of their seats.

Finally, Foothill Tech pulled ahead to 24-20, needing only one more point to win the set. Bonnie continued to fight as they won six straight points to take the set with a score of 26-24 which left the massive crowd of Dragon fans speechless.

Bonnie used their momentum to start off strong in the second set as they pulled ahead 10-17 before a timeout was called by the Dragons.

The Dragons began trading points until the score reached 17-24. The Dragons, determined to fight for the set, rallied back and forth with Bonnie for over a minute until the Dragons secured the point at 18-24. The subsequent point played out similarly to the previous, however this time Bonnie took the point and closed out the second set, 18-25.

In the beginning of the third set, Foothill Tech allowed Bonnie to take the first 3 points. This pattern continued in a similar fashion as they continued to pull away at times leading by nine or more. The Dragons were unable to gain a comeback and Bonnie won the third and final set 3-0.

When asked what the team could improve upon, coach David Benedict responded with, “We came out with a really good intensity … we just need to improve on our consistency.”

The teams’ next competition will be against Cate School (Cate) on Sept. 14 at Cabrillo Middle School, where the Dragons hope to redeem themselves.