The Dragons dive into the competition at the TCAA league finals

Claire Hadley

On the evening of April 28, 2023, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) swim team competed in league finals in a thrilling night resulting in personal records for many of the athletes. The girls junior varsity (JV), boys JV and girls varsity team all took first in league with the boys varsity team placing second in league. Emily Vasquez ’24 darts through the water achieving a time of 1:24:92 in the girls 100 Yard Butterfly varsity race.

Chance Leandro, Reporter

On the afternoons of April 26 and 28, Foothill Technology High School’s (Foothill Tech) swim team competed in the Tri-County Athletic Association (TCAA) League Finals meet against schools including Cate High School (Cate) and Villanova High School (Villanova). 

The Foothill Tech girls swim team won the League Championship with an overall score of 316, which ended in a win against Cate who ended with 272. The Foothill Tech boys swim team placed second overall with a score of 237, causing them to just miss Cate, who had a score of 371. 

The girls team had three athletes in individual events and three relay teams that qualified for advancement into the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) competition. However, no member of the boys team moved on in any event. 

Two incredible athletes on the girls side, Charlie Woo-Bloxberg ‘25 and Cynthia Hu ‘26, not only moved onto CIF in the 500-yard freestyle and 200 yard-freestyle, but they were also seeded in the top six for the next round of CIF. 

Mikaela Clabaugh ‘25 also moved onto CIF in the 200-yard IM and she was seeded 27th going into CIF. The Dragons put through three relay teams in the 200-yard medley relay, the 200-yard freestyle relay and the 400-yard freestyle relay. 

Sadie Lagerquist ‘26 spoke about the season coming to an end as she said,“Our team was really cohesive and just had a lot of fun together.”

As for the boys team, they placed second in the 200-yard medley relay, 200-yard freestyle relay and the 400-yard freestyle relay. 

The season was a lot of fun and I’m glad I got to spend it with my friends, we all improved a lot.

— Aiden Cumming '25

Nathaniel White ‘23 placed fifth in the 200-yard IM and third in the 200-yard breaststroke. Aiden Cumming ’25, another top performer on the boys team, participated in two of the three varsity relays and placed fifth in the 100-yard breaststroke. 

League Finals, for the non qualifiers, brought the close of the season and the last chance to compete for a personal best. 

The Dragons were next seen competing at CIF prelims on May 4 at the Riverside Pool located in Riverside, Calif.