The Devil Wears Prada rocks out

Metalcore band, The Devil Wears Prada, released their new album, "Dead Throne." Credit: Rise Records
Metalcore band, The Devil Wears Prada, released their new album, “Dead Throne.” Credit: Rise Records

Upon hearing the description “Christian metalcore band from Dayton, Ohio,” most people will think to themselves, “what in the world?” But after listening to The Devil Wears Prada’s new album, “Dead Throne,” I have to say that I really like it.

“Dead Throne” is not the greatest album I have ever heard, but I would give it a three out of five. If you want to sing along to this particular album, you will be sorely disappointed. However, it is excellent head banging music.

This is the band’s fourth full length album and it was released on September 13.

What I really enjoy about this album is that there are not any tracks that make you say “Ugh, I hate this song.” But at the same time, a lot of the songs are similar to the point where I lost track of what song I was listening to.

If I was going to pick a favorite song, it would have to be “Vengeance.” The reason that song peeked my interest was because it was the first song where I could understand what they were saying, and I liked the message. Other than that particular song, this album has a high-energy mosh-pit feel.

For those who do not know them, the band’s sound  is close to Avenged Sevenfold’s “Waking the Fallen” and “Sounding the Seventh Trumpet.”

Being a Christian band, The Devil Wears Prada has a visible religious undertone. But don’t worry if you are not religious, because it is faint enough to ignore.

The album has an excellent blend of vocals, ranging from loud and screechy to quiet and soft. The thing I love most about this album is the prominent rhythm and beat that you can’t help but nod along with.

The Devil Wears Prada’s new album is similar to the rest of their work, but not so similar that you feel like its just the same old stuff. Its still very scream-o, but in the older albums they seemed to entrust more to the lead guitarist rather than the bass and drums. They also seem to have stopped using their sarcastic, joking titles for songs, going for a more serious tone. So they have changed a little, but you aren’t left thinking, “Who is this?” or “What am I listening to?”

Overall, I enjoyed the album. But I didn’t jump out of my seat, rush to the store and buy fifty copies of it. It was good, but not fantastic. So I say to people who are thinking about listening to it: give it a shot and keep an open mind, but don’t expect anything brilliant.