Girls’ volleyball suffers a loss in thrilling battle against Grace Brethren on Senior Night

Rihanna Samples

After a tough rally, the team huddles together during a timeout in hopes of getting their spirits up and getting a side-out.

Julia Geib, Reporter

On the night of Oct. 12, 2022, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) varsity girls’ volleyball team warmed up in preparation for their final game of the season against Grace Brethren and the bittersweet but celebratory Senior Night. In an emotional game on the Dragons home court, the crowd commemorated but also lamented the loss of their seniors.

Coming off of a previous win against Grace Brethren, the team was feeling confident in their abilities and were motivated to end the season on a high note. From the moment the whistle was blown the energy in the gym was indescribable, with the audience encouraging the girls through every point. 

The game started with a bang, the points mostly consisting of long back-and-forth points and consistent play from both teams. However, as the set went on the Dragons gave up several free points that allowed Grace Brethren to squeak by with the score of the first set at 20-25.

As tense rallies in the second set stretched on and the crowd cheered from the sidelines, Grace Brethren converted many hits into the back corners where the Dragons couldn’t reach and secured a substantial tally of points. This, along with several other factors such as Foothill Tech’s apparent lack of communication, caused the Dragons to lose the second game 23-25. 

Unwilling to give up quite yet, the Dragons prepared to continue their fight, planning to stay positive and not give up on each other. Channing McClure ‘25 stated, “[The seniors] have been really good leaders on and off the court, and they set really good examples for us.” The third set was the perfect opportunity for the team to look to the seniors for guidance to extend their last game. 

With their backs up against the wall, setter Morgan Houston ‘25 proactively took control of many points, setting up several points and taking many herself. After the dogfight of a set, the Dragons appeared on the other side victorious, the scoreboard blinking with a resounding score of 25-16.

Foothill Tech entered the fourth and ultimately final game determined to tie up the score. The crowd screamed, their faith restored in the team’s abilities when they began with the same vigor as previously displayed. However, this energy was not carried throughout. 

Adrianna and Isabella Rodriguez ’23 pose with their parents, holding gifts honoring them on Senior Night. (Rihanna Samples)

The team fell into many of the same defensive patterns as before, and paired with Grace Brethren’s deadly attacks, these difficulties caused the Dragons to fall into a deficit. They scrambled to gain every point possible but lost the closing game 19-25, trudging off the court disappointed with the final score of 1-3. 

“The last volleyball game feels sad and sentimental because I’ll most likely not be playing with any of these girls ever again and it’s just sad that we had to lose on our last game, let alone our Senior Night,” said Maycie Duston ‘23 while reflecting on her emotions regarding the season’s end. “I really enjoyed playing with everybody and messing around at practice and I think [volleyball] really just lets me be myself.” 

Finishing the season at 2-17, the team emotionally ended the fall season, though many of them will continue to play through the club season in the winter and spring.