Recap: Boys’ volleyball pummeled out of first round CIF playoffs

Olivia Mowad

Sean Scampone ’23 spikes the ball at the opposing team, leaving both teams watching in awe.

Claire Hernandez, Reporter

The boys’ volleyball team at Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) had a triumphant season, finishing second place in their league behind Laguna Blanca School with a league record of 8-2. This punched the Dragons a ticket to the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) playoffs, where they matched up against the Oak Park High School Eagles in the first round on April 28. 

Oak Park, who finished second in the Coastal Canyon league, came into the match with a 9-2 home record, hopeful to continue the dominance on their floor. The long bus ride to the Eagles’ gym struck the boy’s nerves and despite vast quantities of preparation, the Dragons fell short and lost the match 3-0.

The first set concluded with a score of 25-15, the second set 25-9 and the final set 25-19. 

With a squad full of seniors including Chase Nielsen ‘22, Max Holly ‘22, Matt Kyle ‘22, Brayden Jones ‘22, Marcus Valencia ‘22, Andre Anders ‘22 and Dominic Robinson ‘22, the loss was a disappointing finish to a successful year.

The younger players hope to continue their legacy and to further their success in the following years.