News Brief: Senior trip to magic mountain awarded after test scores exceed expecations

Jill Vallance

Because the class of 2018 not just met, but exceeded, their goals for Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC) state testing results last year, they will be going to Six Flags Magic Mountain on June 11. The seniors haven’t had the opportunity to go to Magic Mountain in five years, but this year, they are able to because they received an average of above 80 percent proficiency in English and Language Arts and above 60 percent in math.

“Getting the 80 percent in the English/Language Arts probably has a good likelihood, getting 60 again in math will be hard,” Principal Joe Bova said. “This year, jumped from around forty to fifty to sixty, so to stay at sixty again will be a challenge.”

“It depends on how seriously some of the students took it this year,” Bova said, unsure of where the current junior class stands with their probability of earning the trip.

Seniors that are attending the Magic Mountain trip this year are looking forward to the excursion.

Troy Lindemann ‘18 said “it’s gonna be a fun day to get away from the daily hassle of school.”

“It seems like a good time for all the seniors to be bonding over the one last bang of our high school careers,” Trey Jackson ‘18 added.

Like many, Lindemann is excited to “get out there and have fun with some friends.”

Jill Vallance, Reporter

I like news writing and living my best life.