Recap: Boys’ baseball shut out by Bishop Diego, 8-0

The Dragons warm up for defense before an inning. Credit: Nick Zoll / The Foothill Dragon Press

On Thursday, May 4, the boys’ varsity baseball team was shut out by the Cardinals of Bishop Diego High School with a final score of 8-0. The game, hosted at Ventura College, was the last home game before senior night on Tuesday, May 8.

The Dragons recorded only three hits in the loss due to their inability to make contact with the ball. In total, Foothill struck out 11 times at the plate over the span of the seven-inning game.

Tyler Hong ‘20, Cole Thrasher ‘20 and Troy Lindemann ‘18 each contributed a hit for the Dragons. The only other Foothill baserunners came from walks to Dillon Gallagher ‘19 and Jacob Bridges ‘18, respectively.

Bishop Diego improves to 8-0 in conference play (14-6 overall) as a result of Thursday’s game. With yet another league win, the Cardinals have essentially solidified a first-place finish in the Frontier League. Meanwhile, the Dragons are primed to place second in the Frontier League with a current record of 5-3 (11-10-1 overall).

Foothill will conclude the regular season with two vitally important games that have major playoff implications. Pitted against Villanova Preparatory School in both matchups, a home game awaits the Dragons on Tuesday, May 8, and then they will travel to Villanova’s home turf for a rematch on Thursday, May 10.

Lindemann, aware of the team’s current standing, knows that winning these games are absolutely imperative for their season.

“These next couple games are extremely important, and I think that unless we don’t sweep the [two games], we might miss playoffs,” he explained. “I think they are must-win games, and it would just be nice in general to end the season on a hot streak, and hopefully take that momentum into playoffs.”