News brief: Local police chase causes lockdown at Foothill

This morning on Monday Feb. 27, Foothill experienced a hard lockdown as a result of a police chase going on in the proximity of the school. The suspects were involved in larceny of vehicles and property.

Foothill was put on lockdown after a call from the school’s resource officer around 9 a.m. The lockdown lasted until 9:18 a.m.

According to the Ventura Police Department, an Ondulando resident called the Ventura Police Command Center at approximately 8:45 a.m. after noticing a strange vehicle in the neighborhood. As officers were reporting to the location of the vehicle, the vehicle was announced by dispatch to have been stolen from Oxnard.

The officers reported to the destination and were going to perform a stop when the vehicle containing two persons turned down a dead end road. The vehicle had stopped, and the two suspects escaped on foot.

While the police and VCSD helicopters were searching for the suspects, Foothill went into a lockdown in case that the suspects were to pose a threat to the school. However, both of the criminals were captured and had caused no conflict on campus.

The driver of the stolen vehicle was apprehended by the police on north of Foothill Rd., and when arrested, he was found to be carrying a handgun in his waistband. The second suspect was located in the backyard of a residence by a Ventura Police K9, and was taken into custody and found to be in possession of stolen property. One policeman was injured during the arrest.

The following investigation revealed that the driver of the vehicle had a felony warrant for the robbery of vehicles. Additionally, property that was discovered in the vehicle coincided with several residential burglary reports in Simi Valley.

Once found, the driver was locked up in the Ventura County Jail for possession of a charged handgun, stolen vehicle and stolen property, as well as for resisting arrest.