Senior spirits SOAR to new heights at rally

Credit: Abigail Massar / The Foothill Dragon Press

https://vimeo.com/205470018

Seniors, many donning Harry Potter paraphernalia, funneled into Spirito Hall today where they waited eagerly for a Harry Potter themed SOAR (Seniors Only Academic Rally) put on by Associated Student Body (ASB).

ASB member Ariana Castillo, who was in charge of planning the event, decided on the Harry Potter theme because “it’s a theme that a lot of people can relate to and know about.”

When the seniors walked in, they found a paper on their seat for League of Inspirational Heroes nominations. Foothill offers the League of Inspirational Heroes to give seniors the opportunity to recognize people who have inspired or affected them positively through their lives.

In addition, Melanie “Captain” Lindsey announced that applications for speaking and singing roles at graduation were now open.

As students went into the building they were handed colored cards either red, blue, green or yellow. The color of the card assigned you to an area of Spirito Hall and a Harry Potter “house”: Slytherin, Gryffindor, Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw.

The four houses competed against each other in various games. The winner of each game won a point for their house.  

William White ’17 enjoyed the games because “there were people that went up there that I know that my friends have never even seen before but yet they still cheered them on for the sake of competition.”

At the end of the rally the house with the highest score, Hufflepuff, received water bottles as an award.

In between the various games that ASB planned, nominations for seven awards were announced. These awards were most achieved, most improved, most inspirational, most participatory, most willing to learn, integrity and selflessness.

Following nominations, Principal Joe Bova announced the salutatorians and valedictorians of the Class of 2017.  

The valedictorians for 2017 are Grace Carey, Emily Kinnaman and Isaac Goldstein. The salutatorians are William Borchard, Erik Bruenner, Jonah Bufford, Shelby Collet, Courtney Corbett, Yume Dorsey, Anika Hsu, Malllery Kinnun and Arden Tanner.

Nick De La Cruz ’17 appreciated the recognition through the rally because he “felt a lot of pride for my friends.”

“A lot of my friends were salutatorian” and valedictorian, he said. “I was screaming for Goldstein.”

After announcements students shuffled out of Spirito Hall and into the quad where they were greeted with “butterbeer” (rootbeer) floats and apple cider and listened to toasts from their fellow classmates.

The three valedictorians are, from left to right, Emily Kinnaman, Isaac Goldstein and Grace Carey.
The salutatorians are, from left to right, Erik Bruenner, Yume Dorsey, Shelby Collet, Courtney Corbett, and Jonah Bufford. Not pictured are salutatorians Anika Hsu, William Borchard, Mallery Kinnun and Arden Tanner.