Freshman Parent Information Night shines light on what Foothill has to offer

ASB student Alli Shields ’17 leads a tour group. Credit: Grace Carey / The Foothill Dragon Press

“What does Foothill have to offer?” This question was explored by many potential students and curious parents at the annual Foothill’s Parent Information Night on Thursday, Jan. 12.

Flocks of prospective students and their families were welcomed into Spirito Hall, where the students were able to make new friends, and their parents had an opportunity to become acquainted with the campus and with one another.

Principal Joe Bova began the night with a brief introduction and then presented a detailed explanation of all of the programs, including Foothill’s Bioscience Academy, Associated Student Body (ASB), Journalism, Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID), Foothill Intervention, Reinforcement and Enrichment Program and the new Design-Tech Academy.

Vice Principals Ron Briggs and Lisa Harvill as well as several other representatives of the school followed with an extensive explanation of the great academic benefits that Foothill provides.

Bova and the rest of the faculty then proceeded to answer any questions regarding the students’ transition into their freshman year.

After this, the eighth-graders and their parents were taken on a guided tour of the campus.

Parent, Faculty and Student Organization (PFSO) President Teri Elliot acknowledged the motivational aspect and the great organization of the info night this year. “It was really inspiring for me to see the kids speak,”Elliot said. “It seemed so organized, […] which makes a unique difference.”

Students that wish to attend Foothill must fill out the Ventura Unified “School of Choice” application, which is available on Foothill’s website, the Foothill office or at any Ventura Unified School District public school. Those who are selected from the impartial lottery will be notified via mail in mid-February.

In order to apply, students must reside within Ventura Unified’s boundaries and must present two proofs of residency at the time of enrollment; students who live outside of the district boundary are not qualified to apply.  

The “School of Choice” application window is open from Jan. 6, 2017 until 4 p.m. on Jan. 20, 2017.

After Bova’s presentation, prospective freshman Alana Heinlein stated that she’s really excited to attend Foothill because of D-Tech, “which sounded really cool.” Her mother said that she believes that her daughter attending Foothill “sounds like an excellent opportunity for her, because she really loves the hands-on learning approach.”

Eighth-grader Adeline DeLamar perceived everyone at Foothill as “really welcoming.”

“[Everyone] seemed to know what they were talking about, and everyone was really confident,” DeLamar continued.

As many of the parents, students and staff agreed, the ultimate goal of this session was for students to have an opportunity to get to know their campus and ask any questions about this school and to be aware of what kind of student they would be at Foothill.

“The essential goal of this information session is to make everybody aware,” Briggs commented. “It’s a big decision to decide to come [to Foothill], because it’s a lot different than other schools. It lets people get a really good understanding of what they’re in for if they decide to apply.”