Duke’s: a perfect pit stop (16 photos)

Duke's offers beach-goers a wide-variety of food and a "chill" atmosphere. Credit: Eva Morales/The Foothill Dragon Press.When the dollar menu at McDonald’s just isn’t enough, try heading out to Duke’s Griddle and Grill, located right by the beach on 1124 South Seaward Avenue.

Its relaxing atmosphere created by the many surfboards, murals, and photographs on the walls creates a unique summer feel all year round.

“Dukes definitely has the California feel to it, besides the delicious food, it has character and that’s one of the things that I like,” senior Yesenia Ruvalcaba said.

Duke’s has been a privately owned restaurant since 1991 that features many attributes of Ventura, such as the love of surfing, the beach and the love of great food.

“Duke’s has really yummy food and the location is awesome because the beach is only a few feet away,” senior Marina Duran said.

With the best selling items being the “GIANT Burgers,” the fish tacos, and the special of the day, it is no wonder that it has begun to be a hot spot among many teens.

The prices are a bit higher than its surrounding competitors such as In-n-Out, with the price of a meal being close to $10; still, Duke’s costumers have remained loyal since they are paying for both the food and the atmosphere.

“One of the best things about Duke’s is how close it is to the beach, it makes for a chill atmosphere,” junior Manuel Sanchez and Duke’s employee said.

With all of the good reviews, I decided I had to give it a try. The service was surprisingly fast and the waiters were extremely friendly. The food tasted fresh, and there were a variety of meals, from the all-American classic burger to classic British fish ‘n’ chips.

Although the chili cheese fries could have used more savory cheese, at $2.99 the price was just right. The “Giant Burger,” was delicious, and it quickly became clear why it’s such a favorite amongst locals.

However, for anyone who orders Shrimp ‘n Chips, they don’t take the time to remove the shrimp’s tail before battering them. But the hand-dipped strawberry malt was able to make up for any inconveniences.

You will definitely find the right thing to order with a range from the classic burgers, to Hawaiian plates, the “baskets,” sandwiches, tacos, burritos and salads.

The food is definitely the best thing about Duke’s but another great aspect was the arcade and the music that set a playful mood. There’s a chance that along with losing track of time, you’ll spend all of your money and go home with just pennies in your pocket, as I did.

Duke’s is a unique local restaurant, the Ventura County Reporter has named it Best of Ventura County three times, but if you still don’t believe me, check it out for yourself! 

Credit: Eva Morales/The Foothill Dragon Press.