Teen Voice plans car wash to help homeless

Foothills Teen Voice High School Leadership have begun selling tickets for March 12 car wash. Credit: Eva Morales/The Foothill Dragon Press.
Foothill’s Teen Voice High School Leadership have begun selling tickets for March 12 car wash. Credit: Eva Morales/The Foothill Dragon Press.

Buckets, towels, and soap are being prepared for a March 12 car wash sponsored by Ventura’s high school leadership program, Teen Voice.

Teen Voice is raising funds for its newest project which will focus on creating goody bags filled with essential items for Ventura County’s homeless.

With the help of the West County Winter Warming Shelter, Teen Voice created a list of essential items that are most needed by the homeless.

Teen Voice is asking people to donate travel-size items such as bars of soap, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, tooth brushes, toothpaste, combs, brushes, deodorant, and band-aids.

“I think the car wash is a good way to fundraise,” said Teen Voice member and Foothill junior Celeste Lopez, “Hopefully more people will be able to support us in this fundraiser, since we haven’t had the support for other fundraisers we have done.”

The car wash’s main purpose is to fundraise money to buy items that haven’t already been donated. The car wash will be in Buena High School’s parking lot on Wake Forest Ave, from 9 to 2 p.m.

The car wash has a twist though, Teen Voice coordinator Mario Robinson said.

“There’s no specific price to the car wash tickets, but our hope is that people will want to give more money because of that,” Robinson said,”Plus, it’s all tax deductible.”

Teen Voice is planning to deliver the goody bags by the end of March to the West County Winter Warming Shelter.

Alex Villalpando a junior at Foothill and member of Teen Voice said, “This is a really good cause, our goal is to give back to the needy in our community”

Donations are being collected at all Ventura high schools and at City Hall. For Foothill students, donations can be made in Robin Houlahan’s classroom.

“I think that the car wash is a good idea but I’m more excited to see the reactions from the homeless people when we deliver the goody bags,” said Lopez.

For more information, contact Robinson at 805-654-7807 or [email protected]

Villapaldo said, “I hope this car wash is a huge success!”