PAAC debate: To pledge or not to pledge?

PACC Advisor Cherie Eulau looks on as members discuss the "patriotic pause" last Friday. Photo Credit: Karie Portillo/The Foothill Dragon Press.
PACC Advisor Cherie Eulau looks on as members discuss the “patriotic pause” last Friday. Photo Credit: Karie Portillo/The Foothill Dragon Press.

A tradition that many students are all too familiar with, saying the pledge of allegiance at school is a custom that has been instilled in students since the days of Kindergarten.

For some, it is a tradition to take pride in; for others, it is an unnecessary pause in their busy day. Whether or not schools should require the two minutes to stand up and say the pledge was the discussion at the most recent PAAC debate on Jan. 20.

“The pause is a waste of time, it’s just the same thing we said in kindergarten and it’s not necessary,” senior Colin Crilly said.

According to the California Education Code, sections 52720 and 52730, schools are required to conduct daily patriotic exercises, such as saying of the Pledge of Allegiance or educating students on subjects that promote patriotism.

Although the turnout at the past debate was not large, many students still voiced their opinions regarding the patriotic pause. Throughout the debate, students stated their views on whether or not the pledge is necessary, if taking the pause actually disrupts education, and whether or not saying the pledge actually raises patriotic awareness.

“The patriotic pause doesn’t really accomplish anything,” senior Sam O’ Donnell said.

“It doesn’t prove I care about my country,” junior Aron Egelko said, pointing out that taking the time to say the pledge doesn’t actually increase patriotism.

Although the con-side gathered support in justifying that a patriotic pause does not really accomplish what the California Education code intends, the pro-patriotic pause side fired back.

“People died for our flag, the least we can do is pay some respect…it promotes respect, honesty, and democracy,” senior Amanda Marshall said.

“The least we can do is give two seconds of our time because we should be thankful we live in this country…the argument that taking the pledge out gives us more time to learn is kind of selfish” junior Matt Zinik said.

The debate carried on to the end of lunch where the final vote resulted with 17 votes in favor of the pause and 10 against it.