“I (Heart) Boobies” bracelets not so loved

In an attempt to spread breast cancer awareness, "I (Heart) Boobies" bracelets are causing controversy instead of inspiration. Photo Credit: Karie Portillo/The Foothill Dragon Press.
In an attempt to spread breast cancer awareness, “I (Heart) Boobies” bracelets are causing controversy instead of inspiration. Photo Credit: Karie Portillo/The Foothill Dragon Press.

A recent controversy has ignited over something as simple as a bracelet. The “I (heart) Boobies” campaign aims at promoting “art. education. awareness. action” for the cause of Breast Cancer according to the back of their signature rubber bracelets; but some people feel they may be promoting vulgarity rather than support for a good cause.      

The Keep a Breast Foundation dedicates itself “to help eradicate breast cancer by exposing young people to methods of prevention, early detection and support.” The attention-grabbing bracelets that serve to promote their cause have also stirred up trouble in public schools around the country.

On Nov. 15, 2010, two mothers in Pennsylvania sued the Easton School District for suspending their daughters because they were wearing the bracelets. The fact that a simple piece of rubber jewelry has driven schools to enforcing harsh punishment on students has gained the approval of some and the distaste of others.

“They are just bracelets; they are not so distracting that they disrupt class or cause any serious inconvenience for the teachers,” senior Danielle Saleh said. She considers the bracelets harmless for a school environment.

It is clear as crystal that whoever designed the controversial bracelet knew exactly how to grab the attention of the public. The growing issue with the bracelets is that there are a number of people who insist on making inappropriate comments ignited by the bracelets’ message.

“I think that the “I love boobies” bracelets are offensive. The bracelets have become a joke, and cancer to me is not a laughing matter. Women die because of breast cancer, so to see a whole bunch of teenage boys flaunting those bracelets is inappropriate,” senior Amanda Marshall said.

Although the bracelets have caused a fuss around the country, they don’t seem to be as big of a problem at Foothill Technology High School.

Principal Joe Bova said, “I do not think the bracelets have been a major distraction on campus.” He went on to say that, “I do see the possibility of the bracelets being banned in the future; one of the things we are waiting for is direction from the district, there needs to be a formal policy made for us to take action.”

Jennifer Kindred, a teacher at Foothill, offered a different view. “I haven’t noticed the bracelets, I disagree that it’s a major distraction but I can see the argument that they objectify women.”

There seems to be an agreement among many at Foothill that the bracelets do not present a major distraction to learning; however, whether or not that matters to those who feel the bracelets are inappropriate is another issue.