Community constructs memorial for Buena freshman Jonathan Hernandez (19 photos)

After celebrating what would have been his late sister’s 18th birthday, Buena High School freshman Jonathan Hernandez was fatally struck in a two-vehicle hit and run on Friday, Feb. 18, 2016, the Ventura County Star reports.

……………

After celebrating what would have been his late sister’s 18th birthday, Buena High School freshman Jonathan Hernandez was fatally struck in a two-vehicle hit and run on Friday, Feb. 18, 2016, the Ventura County Star reports. “Jonathan was a good kid,” Yvette Hernandez, Jonathan’s sister, writes on his GoFundMe page, “played football for Buena high school and had a lot of friends. He was a typical 14 year old boy. He did not deserve to be left dying on the street.”

A memorial now stands between Saticoy Avenue and Telegraph Road with letters from classmates, signs and photos from his football team, flowers, balloons, and some of his favorite belongings including shoes, toys, and even snacks. Friends and family members continue to gather and light candles in remembrance of Jonathan. Anyone wishing to donate and help cover funeral costs can visit Jonathan’s GoFundMe page here: https://www.gofundme.com/9tpwkmdq.