Senior class students spend ‘money’ to make ‘money’

autumncomputerstocks2Imagine that you’re given $100,000 to invest in the stock market. How are you going to turn your one hundred grand into millions?

This has been the assignment given to senior economics students at Foothill Technology High School for the past three years.

The class uses an internet simulation provided by the Wall Street Journal to trade stocks online. The program uses real stocks as the basis for the trades. For example, if Apple Inc. stock rises in the real world, the simulation will adjust accordingly, and so forth.

“Students invest in several different industries and sectors of the economy, and the five students that make the most money get exempt from a portion of the final,” said economics teacher Heather Ferris.

Students have become even more aware of the effects of a turbulent economy for investors, but there have been signs of improvement. 

“Last year students lost money. But this year is going better,” commented Ferris.

Students such as Meryl LeBold are given the opportunity to invest in corporations they enjoy, as well as attempting to make money for a partial exemption from the final.

“I have invested in the Coca-Cola, gold industries, food companies, and Hot Topic,” says LeBold.

Autumn Tucker, currently in ninth place in the senior class, has been actively interested in the project.

“I have invested in steel companies, Pepsi Co. and Jones Soda Co. Overall, I have made a profit of $7,703.53. When we originally started, I was at the bottom, but now I am near the top. But I wouldn’t want to invest in the stock market later in my life, trading stocks is just too risky,” stated Tucker.

The project attempts to teach students through application rather than passively looking at the stock market.

“My goal for the students was to help them understand opportunities for investment, how to research stock, how to invest wisely, and most importantly, make them more aware of the stock market” said Ferris.

Photo: Autumn reviews her virtual stocks and checks her standings compared to her classmates. Photo by Bryan Hickman, The Foothill Dragon Press.