BREAKING NEWS: Foothill breaks record with 697 applications received

A+record+breaking+697+students+have+applied+for+spots+in+the+fresman+class+of+2014-15.+Credit%3A+Aysen+Tan%2FThe+Foothill+Dragon+Press+

A record breaking 697 students have applied for spots in the fresman class of 2014-15. Credit: Aysen Tan/The Foothill Dragon Press

Fidelity Ballmer

Juniors Will Hammer and Annie Sinclair have been elected as the Senior Class President and Vice President, respectively. Graphic Credit: Aysen Tan/The Foothill Dragon Press

A record breaking 697 students have applied for spots at Foothill for the 2014-15 school year. Credit: Aysen Tan/The Foothill Dragon Press

Foothill broke the record of received applications this year, administrators told the Dragon Press on Tuesday. This year, 697 students applied to Foothill for the upcoming school year, beating last year’s record of 679.

Students filled out the “Schools of Choice” form, which details what school they would like to attend, and returned it to the Ventura Unified Office or their school. The Ventura Unified Office put all of the information into an Excel spreadsheet, which Foothill administrators received last Thursday.

2010-11   2011-12
 557 students applied  638 students applied
 298 students admitted  300 students admitted
 54 percent acceptance rate  47 percent acceptance rate

Of the 697 students that applied to Foothill, 359 have been sent acceptance letters, making Foothill’s current total acceptance rate 52 percent.

Foothill accepts a different number of students each year, depending on available space and the attrition of each grade level. However, the school’s overall capita is 1,000 students.

This year, 14 more students were accepted to adapt to the increased number of applications. Foothill took a smaller freshmen class last year, so a slightly larger freshmen class was accepted this year.

Principal Joe Bova said that Foothill tried to accept more students because of the greater influx of applications.

2012-13 2013-14
679 students applied 697 students applied
340 students admitted 359 students accepted
50 percent acceptance rate 52 percent acceptance

“We try to take a few more, but we are restrained by the cap,” Bova said.

Bova said he thinks that sports coming to Foothill could be a factor that caused the increased applications. Athletics Director Emily Stevens has given several presentations to local middle schools about the new program.

“The easy answer is to say, ‘Oh yeah, we got more applications because we marketed really hard this year because of the athletic change.’ I don’t know if that’s true or not. You can look at a million different factors of why something happened,” Bova said.

Number applied 2013-14 Number accepted 2013-14
577 freshmen applied 318 freshmen accepted
67 sophomores applied 25 sophomores accepted
47 juniors applied 10 juniors accepted
6 seniors applied 6 seniors accepted

“It could be that there’s just growing interest in the school, athletics could be a factor in that students now don’t have to make a choice where they come to one school [and] have to play at another school.”

Another factor Bova said he thinks could of caused the increased amount of applications is the new school website.

“The only thing that we did different this year is we marketed really heavily with athletics [and] we have a brand new website with a lot of information and marketing about the school, so those are the two new factors,” Bova said.

Initially, Bova said he thought and hoped that less students would apply to Foothill. The less students that apply, the less Foothill has to deny.

“It’s always my wishful thinking. My heart thinks that but my brain knows it’s not going to happen. Because of the uncertainty about athletics and about building brand new programs, our guess was that it might affect us and we might have less applications… I did think and hope that it would be less, but I was wrong again,” Bova said.

Foothill sends rejection and acceptance letters to all students who apply. The 697 letters to students were sent out today and will most likely arrive tomorrow.