Students celebrate holiday season at the “Snow Ball” (70 photos)

Credit: Maddy Schmitt/The Foothill Dragon Press

Music blared, students danced, and the atmosphere was bursting with energy at Saticoy Country Club on Friday night for Foothill’s annual Winter Formal. This year’s theme was the “Snow Ball” and was clearly displayed through clusters of Poinsettias and holiday decorations throughout the venue.

Students danced on the dance floor as well as on the elevated lit-up platforms throughout the night as DJ Boogie Man and DJ Kutz kept the party going and the energy high. A combination of new and old tracks proved to be a hit as Miley Cyrus songs mixed with classics such as “Come on Eileen” and “Ice Ice Baby” were greeted with enthusiastic singing and clapping. TVs with music videos of the songs and a light show were also part of the night.

“Last year, I feel like there was a lot of techno music and this year they’re mixing it up and there’s some old music. I like that they’re mixing it up,” sophomore Natalia Gonzalez said.

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/124894212″ params=”color=ff6600&auto_play=false&show_artwork=true” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]

The venue itself was widely enjoyed. Students were greeted at the main entrance where a coat check and area for refreshments was made available to the students. Following the entrance was the dance floor and a seating area as well as a large outdoor balcony overlooking the Saticoy Country Club’s golf courses and grounds.

“The decorations are lovely, it’s a great facility. The kids seem to enjoy it,” Education in the Digital Age teacher Conni Carr said.

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/124894774″ params=”color=ff6600&auto_play=false&show_artwork=true” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]

Halfway through the dance, the Winter Formal court was announced. The princes and princesses were freshmen Ariana Castillo and Manish Manwant, sophomores Klio Matthews-Irby and Nick Applegate, juniors Susannah Chilton and Wyatt Kufta-Kuntz, and seniors Makayla Morrison, Joshua Fabiszak, Bridget Coonan, and Dee Lucas, with senior twins, Emily and Carson Graves, taking the title of king and queen this year.

“While it’s funny- I mean, it’s probably the only reason that we won- it’s nice because I grew up with her and she’s my other half,” Carson Graves said.

The winners shared a slow dance but soon, the party was back on track.

By the end of the night, there were smiles on everyone’s faces and most were glad they came.

“I like it because I just get to come and hang out with my friends. It’s awesome and really fun,” junior Torie Dawson said.

Others are now set on coming again next year.

“It definitely looks nice and it’s definitely a higher class atmosphere […] I think I’ll probably come back,” freshman Gabby Sones said.

Even the staff members and teachers enjoyed themselves.

“I like to see kids having a good time. School can be so stressful and it’s nice to just see them let loose and enjoy themselves,” English teacher and ASB Advisor Melanie “Captain” Lindsey said.

Assistant Vice Principal Carlos Cohen added that it’s nice to see the students having fun outside of school.

“What I enjoy about Winter Formal is seeing how beautiful and handsome all the young ladies and boys look when they dress up, the dancing, the smiles on their faces, and how adult-like everyone is when they’re here,” Cohen said.