The Foothill Dragon Press

Converse vs. Vans: The most desired shoe (15 photos)

There%27s+tough+competition+among+high+school+students+for+the+battle+between+Converse+and+Vans.+Credit%3A+%28top%29+Ellie+Morrison+%26+%28middle+%26+bottom%29+Maddy+Schmitt
Back to Article
Back to Article

Converse vs. Vans: The most desired shoe (15 photos)

There's tough competition among high school students for the battle between Converse and Vans. Credit: (top) Ellie Morrison & (middle & bottom) Maddy Schmitt

Paris Shepherd

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

There’s tough competition among high school students for the battle between Converse and Vans. Credit: (top) Ellie Morrison & (middle & bottom) Maddy Schmitt

A choice between a timeless classic and the ideal “skate” shoe. Whether you are going for that polished vintage look or a cool skater vibe, either Converse or Vans can perfect any outfit.

Fashion enthusiasts tend to notice what people are wearing. This includes what is being worn on their feet. With the popular wave of Converse shoes, people have noticed them and have taken advantage of their recycled popularity. Fashion is made up of resurfacing styles from different eras; Converse have made a comeback.

Originally manufactured as one of the very first basketball shoes, the first version of the All Star basketball shoe was produced in 1917, by the Converse Rubber Cooperation. Converse were then made popular by Charles H. Taylor, a basketball player for the Akron Firestones. Hence the name Chuck Taylor found on the ankle patch of all Converse.

Converse represent the “all American” boys shoe.

In comparison with Converse, Vans originated in 1966 at the Van Doren Rubber Company. Steve Van Doren worked to make custom shoes for his customers, attracting the attention of skaters like Tony Alva and Stacey Peralta. Eventually adding the ‘Off the Wall’ label on the new skate shoe.

When asking those who religiously wear either Converse or Vans which shoe they would prefer as well as why, they shared many of the same responses.

Junior Trevor Harris said , “I’d choose Vans because there are so many different styles to choose from.”

This was the most common reply when asked to give a reason why a person likes Vans better.

However, junior Oracio Perez said that “Converse are just better looking.”

When having to choose between the classic Chuck Taylors or a retro pair of Vans, the majority of people choose Converse. The reasoning behind this is that they look great with any look and their solid colors don’t distract from an outfit, which patterned Vans sometimes do.

Vans vs. Converse Polle – The Foothill Dragon Press

Always seen with Converse on her feet, sophomore Sara Morda praised Converse by saying that, “Converse are the shoes I’ve grown up wearing. They are just comfortable and last forever.”

The durability of both Vans and Converse is apparent, and Sara boasts that she’s had a pair of each for a few years, but she likes Converse better.

Both of these sought after shoes will continue to be prevalent on the feet of many generations to come. Each pair of shoes has a story to tell and its story is apparent on a well-worn pair of either Converse or Vans.

Credit: Maddy Schmitt and Ellie Morrison/The Foothill Dragon Press

What do you think?
32 Comments

32 Responses to “Converse vs. Vans: The most desired shoe (15 photos)”

1. Jasmine on September 2nd, 2015 3:25 pm

I LIKE CONVERSE BETTER!

2. Mia on October 12th, 2015 12:50 am

Vans r baeee

3. CONVERSE on November 21st, 2015 9:05 am

CONVERSE are BAEEEEEEEEEE

4. Lilyanna Pan on December 12th, 2015 8:45 am

VANZ are a=every VANNERS bae. Yass.

5. jarleth on December 3rd, 2015 9:23 am

vans are better than convers because vans are more coooolest than “converse”!!!!!!!!!

6. Lilyanna Pan on December 12th, 2015 8:45 am

You got dat right.

7. ANONYMOUS on March 14th, 2016 7:12 am

converse>vans

8. Emily on December 4th, 2015 5:57 am

just saying I believe converse are better even though I wear vans.

9. Lilyanna Pan on December 12th, 2015 8:43 am

VANS ARE BETTER, Vans has a LOT of style. This year, when I walk in my classic class, everyone be wearin’ dem VANZZZ, Wit dem VAN socks. Me my friend, my other friend…. (not bragging about smarts but whatevs and im not even talking about it anyways) all wear VANS. Yeah I wore converse once. THEY STINK LIKE NO OTHER. Just sayin, converse are casual, VANS, are the new thang.

10. Morgan on April 5th, 2016 7:46 am

They really aren’t the new thing. Converse are better but I also wear converse all the time and have new tried vans.

11. EMERALDBLAKe on November 4th, 2017 7:42 pm

You’re so immature just so you know that
    those black vans are going to get out of style while converse are still going to be there lol

12. Makenzie on February 8th, 2016 10:46 am

I think converse because they last longer and actually look like cool shoes

13. Yegsg on February 21st, 2016 2:58 pm

Vans are the best no matter what!

14. Cattie on April 19th, 2016 12:30 pm

I say that it’s pretty much obvious converse for life

15. Jonathan on April 19th, 2016 2:41 pm

Vans all day everyday

16. Meg on April 28th, 2016 8:19 am

CONVERSE 4 LIFE!

17. Jacob on June 1st, 2016 7:21 am

VANS 4 LIFE!!!

18. Rob on June 5th, 2016 10:56 pm

Vans suck ass the rip fast

19. Ronnie on June 14th, 2016 4:43 am

i have both vans old skool and converse, out of which i like converse the more, because of its durability and long lasting. Converse goes with any outfit u wear, but when it comes to vans, they attract eyes more than the outfit we wear. whatever it is, i go with classic chuckssss!!

20. Ria on November 15th, 2016 11:22 am

I think that vans is better because it is very nice

21. Trump on November 17th, 2016 11:58 am

Under Armour is 1000x better

22. Bazaar on February 20th, 2017 4:45 am

VANS!!!!!! FOR LIFE

23. George Thomson on March 1st, 2017 5:10 am

I’ve got a pair of each. I’d say vans are comfier, but smaller made, could have done with an 11 in my vans, converse are more generously sized maybe true to size, but turn up at the toes like clown shoes, and one time I tried a 9 on and they were too small so it’s not like I’m wearing a size too big to cause the turning up toes, must be a converse thing. Both converse today but like vans better.

24. Anonymous on March 15th, 2017 6:41 pm

I really don’t give what I wear but if I had to chose it would obviously be converse

25. uthman on May 25th, 2017 1:41 pm

I think converse last longer than vans, but vans is more comfortable, to get a comfortable converse, you meed to get the one which is slightly longer than ur feet, and sometimes if u wear converse for too long ur leg start hurting. vans just need to make their shoe more lasting and they will be best over converse, also converse is good in the rain because of the sole, the plastic thing in front of the sole covering the toes.

26. EMERALDBLAKe on November 4th, 2017 7:36 pm

I PERSONALLY LIKE CONVERSE MORE BECAUSE THEY ARE DURABLE, GOOD LOOKUNG ANND THEY NEVER EVER GET OUT OF STYLE WHILE VANS COME IN AND COME BACK COME IN AND COME BACK LIKE VANS LOOK LIKE THEY WANT TO KEEP UP WITH CONVERSE AND THE COMMENTS I HAVE READ ABOUT “VAMS ARE BETTER “ARE SO IMMATURE AND HAVE NO REASONING. WHEN YOU WEAR CONVERSE NO ONE SAYS ANYTHING THEY DON’T “OH HER SHOES ARE S****Y AF” AGAIN CONVERSE NEVER GET OUT OF STYLE AND THEY LOOK GOOD EVEN WHEN THEY’RE DIRTY LIKE FR THEY STILL LOOK GOOD WHEN THEY’RE DIRTY, THIS MY OPINION BUT CONVERSE HAVE THIS CLASSIC LOOK THAT CAN’T BE STOLEN BY ANY OTHER SHOES.

27. Johnny Bravo on December 24th, 2017 11:17 am

I’m 51 years old. I’m reading these comments and thinking “Oh god. These people will be voting soon. And they think THIS matters?”

Don’t worry, I get it… In my high school days it was Ocean Pacific versus Members Only.

28. AnonymousMatcha on August 21st, 2018 9:41 pm

I’ve worn converse for 4 years and switched to vans for 2 years. I love the way vans look, but I miss the toe-protecting thing the converse had. I love how casual both of them are. If I had to choose between vans and converse, it would be converse. Only reason why is because beautify isn’t everything. I don’t wanna walk around, having people stepping on my toes all day and going home to see bloody toes. Plus the holes on the sides are for VENTILATION to prevent fungi. SAFETY FIRST KIDS

29. isaac villa on December 7th, 2018 1:28 pm

i love vans

30. Charlie on January 11th, 2019 10:12 pm

2019: WHO CARES, personally i wear converses but i dont care

31. Ashtin Davidson on January 16th, 2019 6:01 pm

Converse infinity percent. Once i get converse, im hooked. I barely stop wearing converse. They are my favorite shoes, they are my go to shoe. I love the toe cap, the spikes, the star, the tongue and everything about it. I grew up wearing converse. Vans are pretty cool too, i only worn one pair. I would get vans again. But converse will always dominate no matter what. Plus, nike owns converse so which means they are getting more help and making it more modernized and better. But, i wish i had vans checkerboard slip ons 2. I would wear both vans and converse. But Converse are my favorite and i like converse better for a variety of reasons.

32. Yo momma on January 23rd, 2019 12:46 pm

Vans all day converse are trash

Comments on articles are screened and those determined by editors to be crude, overly mean-spirited or that serve primarily as personal attacks will not be approved. The Editorial Review Board, made up of 11 student editors and a faculty adviser, make decisions on content.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Left
  • Converse vs. Vans: The most desired shoe (15 photos)

DIYs & Fashion

Cómo hacer una piñata

• Converse vs. Vans: The most desired shoe (15 photos)

DIYs & Fashion

Flirty, feminine “French Girl Style” is the new fashion forward

• Converse vs. Vans: The most desired shoe (15 photos)

DIYs & Fashion

Back to School fashion comes in hot

• Converse vs. Vans: The most desired shoe (15 photos)

DIYs & Fashion

Fantastic Eats with Q and E: Springtime cupcakes

• Converse vs. Vans: The most desired shoe (15 photos)

DIYs & Fashion

March Magic: Clover pin DIY

• Converse vs. Vans: The most desired shoe (15 photos)

DIYs & Fashion

Fashion trends that should stay in 2017

• Converse vs. Vans: The most desired shoe (15 photos)

DIYs & Fashion

5 DIYs to fight the frost

• Converse vs. Vans: The most desired shoe (15 photos)

DIYs & Fashion

Winter fashion for a “Ventura winter”

• Converse vs. Vans: The most desired shoe (15 photos)

DIYs & Fashion

Fantastic Eats with Q and E: Butter Cookies

• Converse vs. Vans: The most desired shoe (15 photos)

DIYs & Fashion

DIY home decorations for winter

Navigate Right
The Student News Site of Foothill Technology High School
Converse vs. Vans: The most desired shoe (15 photos)