Country-themed Fall Carnival replaces Fall Dance

[dropcap size=dropcap]C[/dropcap]ountry music, live student performances, and churros took center stage in Foothill’s first senior class sponsored Fall Carnival on Friday. Students that attended found a western-themed quad filled with games, food, and prizes when they exited their seventh period classrooms.

Senior Talia Aharon-Ezer, senior Blake Silva, and the band The Special Guests performed.

Silva sang pop songs such as Miley Cyrus’s “Wrecking Ball”, P!nk’s “Perfect”, and Ed Sheeran’s “A Team.” Aharon-Ezer contributed one of her own original songs to the event.

“We wanted to have live music because we did a survey at the end of the year to ask people what they wanted more this year, and they all said live music,” said ASB Representative Mallory McPherson-Wehan.

ASB sold churros, nachos, lemonade, and popcorn to the attendees. There was also a food truck parked in the back lot for students to buy shaved ice on the hot day.

Different games included volleyball, a prize wheel, pie-eating contests, and a beanbag toss.

“We [ASB] just wanted to do something to reward the students for a great start of the school year,” said Junior Class President Will Hammer.

ASB hosted the carnival in hopes that it would attract more students than the school’s previous fundraiser, a Fall Dance.

“We canceled the back-to-school dance because it was low attendance, so it was the decision of the senior class officers to make it a carnival,” said ASB adviser Melanie “Captain” Lindsey.

Although the event was put on to raise money, it also served to bring the Foothill community closer together and increase student excitement.

“It’s not all about making money, so even if we make ten dollars at this event, I think we contributed to the school,” said ASB President Carson Graves.

Several attendees and ASB members shared ideas about how to make the event more fun next year.

“Maybe have it [the carnival] during seventh period so that upperclassmen can come too… and they don’t have to wait,” said freshman Suvee Ranainghe.

ASB will look at different factors, such as student reactions, when considering whether to put on the Fall Carnival next year. Many students look forward to Foothill events and are excited to see the carnival continue.

“It definitely has the makings of a great annual tradition,” said junior Carlos Cohen.

Credit: Aysen Tan/The Foothill Dragon Press

[embedvideo id=”74509272″ website=”vimeo”]

Credit: Bridget Parrino & Angel Mayorga/The Foothill Dragon Press

Background photo:  The Special Guests, VHS seniors Blake Knutson, Matthew Goodkin-Gold, ECHS senior Christopher Short, and FTHS senior Michael Morales, perform at the Fall Carnival. Credit: Aysen Tan/The Foothill Dragon Press