Foothill Tech lifts community service requirements

Kaelyn Savard

Following the difficulties of trying to volunteer amidst a global pandemic, Foothill Technology High School has made a decision to cut its mandatory community service requirement.

Emma Ippolito, Reporter

As previously announced by Principal Russel Gibbs on Oct. 15, 2021, Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) students will no longer be required to have community service hours in order to graduate. Previously, students were required to complete 60 hours of community service, now this obligation is lifted. 

This change can be attributed to the COVID-19 pandemic and how it prevented many students from being able to complete volunteer hours. Ventura High School and Buena High School also do not require the community service hours.

However, those who have already worked to gain community service hours in their time at Foothill thus far are not completely out of luck, as awards for high achieving community service hours are still being offered. Some of the awards include the silver, gold, platinum and ruby award given at Senior Awards Night. Students also have the opportunity to receive a pin to wear at graduation

For seniors who still hope to submit their volunteer hours, the deadline will be at the end of the third quarter, on April 1 by 3 p.m.. 

In an email sent out to students and staff, Gibbs, commented that, “Foothill Technology has a long tradition of students serving the community in many aspects, and we plan on continuing that tradition.” Students are encouraged to continue volunteering for the benefit of the community even if it is not required. 

Gibbs also mentioned that, “performing community service is not only beneficial to the community and to the students, but it is often required for (or strongly encouraged on) college, scholarship, internship, and job applications.”

Foothill will continue to offer volunteer opportunities to students who wish to get involved in their community.