Six best festive films for a cozy Christmas night

Credit: Maya Avelar / The Foothill Dragon Press

As the weather gets cooler and colors change to red and green, everyone starts to long for a cozy night in.  What better time to cuddle up on the couch with warm blankets, hot chocolate and tons of Christmas movies? If you are in the Christmas mood but are not sure what movies to watch, look no further. Here are some unique Christmas films to put you in the holiday spirit.

“Scrooged

“Scrooged” is a classic tale remade for modern American cynicism and greed; Bill Murray plays the titular character and brings a new light of entertainment to it. Really just about any 80s movie with Bill Murray in it is set to put you in a good mood. This seasonally spiced film will do just the same.

-Riley Bangs

“Beyond Tomorrow”

“Beyond Tomorrow” wants to know how far the Christmas spirit can reach. A group of old friends wants to extend their holiday to strangers, and after returning a “lost wallet,” James Houston and Jean Lawrence find an unlikely love. But it seems like the miracle can only last so long.

-Riley Bangs

“Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer”

“Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer” made in 1964 is the perfect film for your viewing pleasure this Christmas season. The film is about a reindeer that is just trying to fit in and along the the way he makes many friendships with other “misfits.” It’s fun, it’s short and it’s a great family film. This movie is a classic that is memorable and entertaining. Since it is brief and it was originally a television special, it can be viewed on television channels which makes it easily viewable.

-Emma Yakel

“Jingle All the Way”

“Jingle All the Way” tells the story of a man trying to reconcile with his family and while doing so he runs into trouble with Santas, action figures and a mailman. It is a hilarious film that contains many one liners for your enjoyment. It’s not a classic but it sure is one that you won’t want to miss. This fun film takes you on a crazy adventure that will make everyone happy.

-Emma Yakel

“National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation”

Everybody loves Christmas traditions. Decorating the house with Christmas lights, putting up the christmas tree, carving the Christmas turkey and even getting a Christmas bonus makes everyone’s days a little bit merrier. However, sometimes the beautiful image one has painted in their head does not quite come to life how they want it to. “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” highlights the chaos of the Christmas season. Clark Griswold wants to give his family the perfect Christmas, but when his crazy relatives arrive, everything seems to go awry. Rather than being the classic Christmas film, this one puts some relatability and reality into the typical tales. “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” combines hilarious disaster with festive fun, making it a great movie to watch no matter what sort of spirited mood you’re in.

-Julia Fickenscher

“Arthur Christmas”

One of the beauties of Christmas is the excitement you get as a child knowing that Santa will visit your house in the middle of the night and drop presents off for you to open when you wake up. However, as you grow older, you typically begin to wonder how such a big task is possible. “Arthur Christmas” does an impeccable job of describing how the whole operation goes down.  Every night on Christmas Eve, Santa and his elves are extremely hard at work. The operation is completely perfectly executed each year; that is, until Santa forgets to make a stop at one child’s home. Santa’s son, Arthur, refuses to give up on the kid, and is determined to get the present to them on time. Rather than using the modern technology utilized by the elves and Santa for years, he decides to embark on his journey the old fashioned way: just a red suit, reindeer and a sleigh. “Arthur Christmas” defines an imagination gone wild, putting tons of fun into the sweet Christmas tradition celebrated by children worldwide.

-Julia Fickenscher

Image credit, from left to right, top to bottom: Paramount Pictures, Academy Productions, National Broadcasting Company, Twentieth Century Fox, Warner Bros., Sony Pictures

Thinglink Credit: Julia Fickenscher / The Foothill Dragon Press