Peggy Kroener takes the reins

New Assistant Principal Peggy Kroener is happy to be starting the year at Foothill. Maya Morales/The Foothill Dragon Press.

The new assistant principal at Foothill stands on the stage looking out towards a sea of students. She has cropped blond hair, and a wide smile across her face. For Peggy Kroener, Foothill is a new scene, a pleasant change from disciplining middle school students to assisting high school students.

“The time was right and the job was right,” Kroener says of her switch to Foothill.

Kroener had worked as a teacher for twenty-seven years: she attended University of the Redlands and Cal State Northridge, then delved into the career in a variety of subjects. She taught Home Economics, Science and Student Government, and soon landed the Assistant Principal job at Cabrillo Middle School.

“She has many years of experience,” says Principal Joe Bova of Foothill, “She can be a very valuable support to teachers.”

With the responsibilities of AVID,ASB, graduation, athletics and the usual managerial work, Kroener has quite a lot ahead of her. She is replacing last year’s Assistant Principal, Jennifer Duston, who is now the principal of Saticoy Elementary School. But Kroener’s excitement to work at a public high school for the first time in her career is evident.

“I have a license plate that reads ‘Be a fountain not a drain.” She says, and she hopes to do just that when helping the kids at Foothill, especially the freshman who are making a transition from middle school to high school.

“She’s a great asset to Foothill,” says senior and former Cabrillo Student, Jessica Lucas, “We’re excited to have her as an Assistant Principal.”

Bova is very confident that Kroener will have a positive impact on the students of Foothill. Even though she is not part of the founding staff, as Duston was, Bova is positive that she will do just fine in her new role.

“We wanted her [Kroener] because she brings expertise and experience,” Bova says of the decision to hire Kroener.