Wrap-Up: Girls’ water polo conquers Garden Grove 12-3 in second round of CIF playoffs

On Saturday, the Foothill girls’ water polo team competed in the second round of the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) championship at an away game against Garden Grove High School. The Dragons defeated the Argonauts with a final score of 12-3.

Junior Meagan McKillican was Foothill’s lead scorer with six goals, followed by junior Lezly Plahn with three points, and sophomore Josie Thorp with two. Sophomores Aariana Saunders and Serefina McClain each scored once.

Coach Samantha Marinaro believed that “the girls [played] great” against Garden Grove.

“You can really see the intensity in the right now and the will to win that’s driving their fire,” she said.

During the first half of the game, the Dragons lead the game 8-0, which was the most exciting part to Marinaro.

“You could feel the energy from the girls [and they were] beaming,” she said.

With their streak of recent victories, Marinaro noticed how the team is playing their best against the competition.

“I think we need to fine-tune a couple plays but other than that we are pretty much at peak performance,” she said.

The Dragons have a an overall record of 25-6 and a league record of 14-0. They will compete in the semi-final round of the CIF playoffs against San Dimas High School in San Bernardino.