Say no to naughty; classy is back this Halloween

Credit: Kirsten Wiltjer/The Foothill Dragon Press.

Halloween has been a trademark time for women to dress in as little clothing as possible. But dressing as the naughty nurse or sexy police officer is trashy. Most high school girls choose these costumes for attention-seeking purposes, and I can admit I’ve made the error of wearing a revealing costume before. A year later it can be more embarrassing than attractive.

Instead of making the same mistake twice, let’s all have a classy Halloween with costumes that are colorful and inventive.

Two years ago my friends and I planned to be the Fantanas, the girls in the Fanta commercials. It never worked out because the fourth girl couldn’t make it; nevertheless the idea was easy and creative. I bought a flouncy yellow dress for about $13 at Papaya and with a few yellow accessories it would have been a complete costume.

Instead, my other two friends and I dressed as fairies with old ballerina tutus, tights, colored tanks and a massive amount of accessories. Rather than buying a pricey outfit last minute, random articles of your own clothing and costume jewelry can be a splendid idea.

Keeping with the classics, a flapper is always a popular outfit. A long faux pearl necklace, black thigh level dress and a bobbed wig are typical elements.

Cleopatra is another popular choice with a simple white dress and gold accessories. Additionally, dark eye makeup suits the costume.

Daphne from Scooby Doo can also be a cute idea. A tight purple dress and green scarf portray her character.

Dressing as a celebrity is incredibly popular now that many of them wear ridiculous outfits.

Taylor Momsen has evolved from the innocent Jenny on Gossip Girl to the rebellious lead singer of The Pretty Reckless. Her outrageous band shirts, tights, leather jackets and raccoon eye makeup is a creative way to dress up.

Lady Gaga is the most obvious parody for Halloween. There are so many options: from dressing in meat to being carried around in an egg.

Nicki Minaj is another wildly inspirational celebrity with her five-colored hair and body suits of leopard print mixed with pink leather.

Katy Perry can also be a unique costume. Last year at a Halloween party, my friend’s sister dressed as Perry with the combination of a crop top and high-waisted shiny blue shorts from American Apparel. American Apparel is an ideal place for basics and outrageous pieces like Perry’s shorts. They have a large selection of clothing that can be matched with any Halloween outfit.

There are so many costumes that are easy to put together with clothing in your own closet. Halloween is a time to be creative, whether trick-or-treating or attending a party. Get in the spirit and create a classy costume to remember this Halloween.