Bryn Gallagher: Learning to love, regardless of faith

I have to take a break from my usual column. I need to hang up the pointe shoes, put up the glitter, shelve the musicals and put away my phone. Don’t worry, they’ll be back and the happy-go-lucky will return. But right now I want to talk about something else, something controversial.

I want to talk about God.

Don’t leave. Don’t tense up. Please, I won’t hit you on the head with my Bible. I won’t tell you how you are living is wrong. I will not tell you that you are going to Hell. {sidebar id=65}

That is not my place, and I’m not sure it’s yours either.

First, Chick-Fil-A comes out against gay marriage, then Starbucks comes out for it. Outrage followed both times. Why does a corporation have an opinion and why do we care? 

I am a Christian. I believe in Christ as my savior and God as my creator; I believe my life has a purpose that I do not yet know. That does not, however, mean that I am bigoted.

As far as I can tell, the God I know, the one who saved us, is a God of love. Jesus loved us. He loved the outliers, the weirdos, the almost universally unloved. He died for us, all of us, not one group of us, not a “special” us.

Sometimes when I look around and I see what other people do and say “in the name of God” it makes me hurt. I hurt to see those who love God so earnestly hate others so fiercely.

I will continue drinking Starbucks coffee and try my best to share God’s love.

I’m not actually that good at it, love. I cause strife, give my editors fits. I am admittedly a pain, but I am trying to fix it, trying to be better.

I know, I’m seventeen. I know so little about the world and I honestly could be completely wrong about all of this. But it seems to me that we should each of us love, as I believe He loves.

Maybe we should all love a little more, regardless of who we are or what we believe.