Best of 2023: Best of Foothill Tech

Karli Riehle
    Time sure is flying by fast these days! As we transition into the new year of 2024, it is time that we look back on 2023 at Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech). Go along with writers Beatrice Barnes, Audrey Szijj and Emilie Huovinen while they review the new additions to campus, best events and cafeteria food at Foothill Tech from 2023.

Best events 

With the end of 2023 approaching, it’s time to look back on some of the best events that Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) students experienced so far this school year. From school dances to Freshman Fridays, Renaissance Rallies and more, the events that took place at Foothill Tech were thoroughly planned by the staff and students. This year has definitely succeeded at making new students at Foothill Tech feel welcomed to the community, as well as showing recognition for every grade and making students feel appreciated.

Renaissance Rallies (Ren Rallies) has always been a favorite for Foothill Tech students because there are various activities that the Associated Student Body (ASB) holds each year. Such activities include face painting, setting up a bounce house and bringing out treats for students to enjoy. Larissa Myers ‘26 stated, “My favorite event so far is probably the Halloween Ren Rally.” This event was a great way to start off the year, and many students liked it because it gave them an “opportunity to get free food.” Ren Rallies are also a great way to show recognition for students in their academics. However, ASB President Rhea Gill ‘25 stated that she “would like to see [more] recognition events for students whether it be in their extracurriculars or academics.” Another event that has also been important to students is Club Rush because it gives students, especially new ones, a chance to get to know their school and what kinds of clubs and activities it offers. It’s also a great way to get to know new people and become a part of the Foothill Tech community.

Dances have also been very popular at Foothill Tech, especially Winter Formal. Gill stated that the Foothill Tech Winter Formal is her favorite event, because “kids of all ages and all grades at Foothill [Tech] can go to this dance and it’s a formal dance, which is really great because for some freshman and even sophomores, this is their first formal dance.” This dance is also special because Foothill Tech’s own sophomore class president gets to plan it. Gill also states that “the theme is always something really cool and there’s typically pretty good music.”

While these events that Foothill Tech has offered have been fun, there are still some improvements to be made. Grace Sanchez ‘27 expressed that “maybe there could be more events for people who are more introverted, who like it to be quiet […] just for people who [still] want to have fun but want some down time.” Many of the events at Foothill Tech can be loud and a bit chaotic sometimes, so it’s important to show recognition for the students who like it quiet. Another change that some students would like to see in the events are representation of more cultures. Natalie Liera ‘24 stated that she would like to see “more [events] that cater to [other cultures].” Not everyone celebrates holidays such as Christmas, so it’s important to show recognition for these other cultures at Foothill Tech. 

Wrapping up 2023 with the Winter formal was a great way to celebrate the end of the year, as many students enjoyed the dance. But what has really made this year a great one is all the effort that the staff, teachers and students have put into all the events of 2023. Those who planned these events put their hard work, time and energy into bringing the Foothill Tech community closer together. So in 2024, make sure to participate in school events to show your appreciation of the people of Foothill Tech.

Best cafeteria food 

Every day, students rush to the cafeteria during their nutrition and lunch breaks, eager to see what the cafeteria staff has cooked up for students that day. Although they typically keep the same food in rotation, the cafeteria staff has spiced it up this year; finding new ways to deliver food consisting of the same ingredients.

Most students enjoy the exclusive items that they give out. Fan favorites include orange or teriyaki chicken with rice or a variety of pastas. Ramsha Beg ‘24 highlighted, “I enjoy the lasagna.” Some other rare items this year are the seasonal dishes such as mashed potatoes and gravy that the staff has brought out around Thanksgiving.

This year, the cafeteria staff has created a new tradition of “Taco Tuesday” and has stuck with it for a few months now. For “Taco Tuesday,” students get tacos, a bag of tortilla chips and a variety of toppings such as salsa, sour cream and lettuce. 

As for the breakfast menu, students miss the flavored bagels such as blueberry or cinnamon raisin that are no longer provided. However, it appears as though all the breakfast items are a hit with students. Students such as Ashley Brown ‘24 especially like the numerous options of breakfast cereals, as it provides a convenient and fast meal for those who don’t have the time for breakfast in the morning.

This highlights some of the ways students appreciate all that the cafeteria staff does, so be sure to show your appreciation by thanking them the next time you are in line.

Best new addition to campus 

In 2023, the Wellness Center at Foothill Tech emerged as an extremely valuable mental health resource for students at the school. According to Loren Romero ‘25, a Wellness Center peer mentor, “this is the first year the Wellness Center has existed.” Whether you want some cleansing time away from the hustle and bustle of the quad or you are seeking guidance around mental health struggles, the Wellness Center is a relaxing oasis where you can attend to your needs. 

Located in the H-pod and open daily from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., the Wellness Center is a screen-free space. This distinctive feature encourages in-person connection and gives students a much-needed break from the constant stimulation of mobile devices. The center also offers a plethora of board games, art supplies, comfortable seating and even a fountain providing a peaceful ambiance. On any given day during lunchtime, many students can be found relaxing on a bean bag with noise-cancelling headphones, drawing or simply enjoying each other’s company. 

For students who need extra mental health support, the Wellness Center offers small group counseling sessions organized by Rebecca Wulf, Foothill Tech’s wellness counselor. These small groups focus on destigmatizing mental health challenges and helping students to develop healthy coping mechanisms. Ten upperclassmen selected as Wellness Center peer mentors keep the center running smoothly and receive special training to speak directly with students about any issues they may be experiencing. They also work on social media outreach and partnerships with local community organizations including Allateen and Livingstone Memorial to put on special workshops. In the fall of 2023, the Wellness Center hosted a grief workshop on Mondays and a suicide talk for both students and staff. 

However, mentors are always working on new projects. Romero emphasized, “[Wellness Center mentors] plan on providing a lot of support for test anxiety in the weeks leading up to finals.” Many studies have shown that poor mental health adversely affects academic performance, which is why giving students access to mental health resources is crucial in school settings. “We are constantly taking on projects that are available to the whole student body, not just individuals,” Romero continued, “which sets us apart from wellness centers at other schools.” 

Most students know how to take care of themselves when they have a sore throat or a headache, but navigating mental health issues can be far more complicated. The wellness center fosters an on-campus environment where students feel safe, accepted and understood, and is playing an essential role in ensuring all students at Foothill Tech are equipped with the resources that they need to succeed in both school and in life.