Sebastian Bails the “Musical.ly guy”

Sebastian Bails the “Musical.ly guy”

Credit: Kyle Cobian (used with permission).

Lauren Shields

Half a year ago, junior Sebastian Bails started off with only a couple followers on social media. Six months later, Bails has over 400,000 fans on Musical.ly, 4,000 subscribers on Youtube, and 17,600 followers on Instagram. He considers this one of his proudest accomplishments.

Half a year ago, Foothill junior Sebastian Bails started off with only a couple followers on social media. Six months later, Bails has over 400,000 fans on Musical.ly, 4,000 subscribers on Youtube, and 17,600 followers on Instagram. He considers this one of his proudest accomplishments.

“Basically what I do is I create comedy videos on Musical.ly and I am starting to make comedies on my Instagram as well” Bails said.

In addition to all his social media platforms, Bails makes YouTube videos too. However, this does not come easy for him. Bails describes himself as a “perfectionist.”

He always has to have the right lighting, the camera angled just right for him, to say everything perfectly, have the camera focused, and if he still does not like the Youtube video or the Musical.ly, he remakes it until everything is perfect. Bails said that “sometimes I have to re-film YouTube videos like five times”.

Most of Bails ideas for his Musical.ly’s come from his close friend Lauren Godwin. “I look up to her a lot because she just hit one million followers,” Bails expressed. “I also go off of what I think is funny.”

Godwin also started at the same time as Bails and posts similar content. He asserts that he is very proud of her accomplishments and is not jealous that she has double the fans that he has.

“Ever since I was little I wanted to be known for something,” Bails revealed when asked about why he began Musical.ly.

He first described hating the idea. “Like really? Really? Why is there another social media app? There is already Vine,” explained Bails.

Instead of totally throwing away the idea of Musical.ly, he downloaded the app and “realized how cool it was.”

He began making Musical.lys and then told himself “I am going to be famous on Musical.ly.” Bails believes that if you put yourself in the mindset that you will do something, you will achieve it.

As time goes on and his followers keep expanding , he has noticed himself caring about his likes and being drawn into social media more than taking in the world around him. When Bails talks about likes, he reveals it’s “hard not to let it depict you.”

“When you put something out there and it doesn’t get enough views or likes, it’s hard not to get hurt,” Bails said.

He then compared the receiving a low number of likes and views on his social media to working really hard on a test but the outcome being an F; “it doesn’t matter how many followers you have, it will always hurt you.”

Quite a few experiences have opened up for Bails, like promotion posts on Instagram, modeling shoots in LA, and exposure to other famous people.

What Bails wants to accomplish in the near future is to move out to LA and hit one million followers on Instagram. As for his desired career, he is interested in being an actor and sees himself doing big things.