Girls’ golf triumphs over Nordoff 226-306

The sun shone bright as the Foothill girls’ golf players hugged and cheered as the match against Nordhoff High School came to a close. The Dragons shot their best score of the year, ending with an overall match score of 226-306.

According to sophomore Anna Pyron, the team has more than doubled the number of players competing since last season. She believes that this has brought the team closer together.

“We’re like one big family, it’s amazing,” said Pyron. “We more than doubled our team so there’s like a lot more of us and the girls that played last year [are] more like a family now and we’ve just included other girls so it’s been fun.”

Coach Janey Dunn is “excited” for the season because she feels that the team has improved since last year. She feels that the new freshmen with previous experience have strengthened the team.

“With golf, experience is key,” she said. “It takes a while to learn how to play and all that so it’s just experience; we have a little bit more this year.”

Dunn feels that the team was able to play so “great” throughout Thursday night’s match because they felt comfortable and confident on the course.

“I think it’s a combination of girls being more comfortable out there, we’ve played this course a lot now,” she said. “We’ve done a lot of practice, we started in July and I think they are just gaining confidence with each win and match that we play.”

Sophomore Anna Pyron felt that she played “amazing” and performed her “best round ever.” She broke 50 points for the first time, setting a personal record with a score of 47. Pyron believes that her success was because she had been working with her Dad on “making the ball go farther.”

However, not all players felt satisfied with the outcome of their matches.

Sophomore Paris White felt that she has played better in previous games and needs to improve her drives. Despite some mistakes, Paris believes that she still played well and wants to continue to improve.

“I got under 50 so I’m happy! I just had some good shots and I had some pretty bad shots, like out of the sand it was pretty hard. But it was pretty good,” she said.

Sophomore Sydney Roman believes that she also played “a pretty good round.” She prepares for each match by practicing her swing and putting. She believes that you “give it your all” while you’re competing and then “see what happens.”

“It depends on how you play, you can’t really determine how you’re gonna play before hand,” she said. “So It just depends on what happens and where your shots go.”

The Dragons have an overall record of six wins and zero losses. Dunn is “expecting” their undefeated season to continue and will “practice hard” in order to make that happen.

“Just with practice, we [will] get out there and work on different drills on the practice green and hopefully the girls will be able to transfer what they do on the practice green to the course,” said Dunn.

Background Photo Credit: Grayson McCoy / The Foothill Dragon Press