Luke Ballmer: Rubio will stay thirsty, my friends

The Republican response to President Obama’s State of the Union featured a hysterical misstep by an otherwise rising political star.

Marco Rubio’s awkward, fidgety presentation of the counter-State of the Union was destined for Republican praise no matter what, as the desperate rebranding of the Republican Party left no other choice.

Over-playing Rubio’s uncomfortable water break, however, isn’t necessary in the long run.

Rubio’s political career is far from over because of one water break. His political career is over because of the imploding Republican Party and his faux “moderate” pleas to its flaming carcass.

Hyperbolizing the effects of one lackluster presentation would ignore both content and precedent. If aesthetic mistakes in speeches proved a reasonable model for political success, after all, a very differently shaded man might have been delivering the State of the Union.

Sure, Marco Rubio was nervous about his first night in the national spotlight, and that didn’t make him appear too professional, or, shall we venture to say, presidential.

Much more importantly, Rubio’s political career can be discredited by his mere attachment to the acidic and deformed Republican Party, not to mention his own “moderate” and “palatable” manifestations of their views.

The Republican Party, in the few places where it doesn’t exist entirely to make money, is in shambles. Marco Rubio’s State of the Union response, contrasted with Rand “Fountainhead” Paul’s, shows that internal division is inevitable in 2016, if not much sooner.

Rubio will be the second coming of Romney. The party ideologues will chip away at any potential unified party support. He’ll find 47 percent of a binder filled with women in another speech down the road, and his fragmented party will be eager to direct the blame at him after it predictably fails once more.

Marco Rubio is understandably thirsty. Much like the Republican primaries, there’s a huge gap where a party leader should be.

Unfortunately for Rubio, that gap must be filled with a brain or a consciousness before it can filled with another dehydrated politician.