Driving proves to be a burden, not a blessing

Credit: Michael Morales/The Foothill Dragon Press

Even as a child I can remember how excited I would get when pretending to play “taxi driver” in my dad’s ’95 Dodge Neon. When I was at the supermarket I would make a loud screeching noise when the grocery cart came to a stop, the same way a car does when it makes an immediate stop. The mere thought of one day driving would exhilarate me the same way a child receives a rush from a fresh piece of chocolate.

Maybe it was the liberating notion that I could go anywhere, anytime I desired. Maybe it was the presumption that I would suddenly be an adult when I received my driver’s license, but as the years flew by one thing did not change: the desire to drive.

Now, almost a month into sporting my driver’s license, I cannot help but feel let down by the illusions I once held about being a licensed driver.

Between the curfews and limits on driving, it soon becomes obvious that there are so many tedious things to driving. Gasoline prices are always changing, and you never know whether to buy gas immediately or wait and hope that it is cheaper the next day. There are never any parking spots, and cars are either cutting you off in traffic or slowing you down to the point where you never get to your destination on time.

I remember when I got my license on New Year’s Eve and I was excited about finally being able to drive by myself and go on countless adventures that resembled tales out of Jack Krakauer’s “Into The Wild.” That teenage fantasy was short-lived. Right when I got my license, I drove to Los Angeles for a New Year’s party only to be stuck in traffic for two hours, spending the last of my Christmas money on gas and putting a slight scratch on my dad’s Tahoe after braking and slightly swerving to save the life of a vicious-looking possum who crossed my path on the way back home. 
The reality of the situation is that driving is not something to be hyped up about. For everyone on campus who simply yearns to get behind the wheel, believe me when I say that the sooner you start driving, the sooner you will find yourself with less funds than you had before (and coming from a student in high school that is saying a lot). As a matter of fact, I would not be surprised if you promptly discover that you were more in love with the idea of driving than you were about physically getting behind the wheel and driving on your own.

Now is that to say that driving is an arduous task with absolutely no upsides? No, not at all. There will be adventure-packed moments behind the wheel in which you will be stupefied by the scenery surrounding you and overjoyed by your traveling companions. My point is that it is not the glorious task that everyone thinks it is.

All in all, if you are like me, driving will only aggravate you and cause you to yell at random strangers, not to mention flash inappropriate hand gestures at less-than-able drivers. So overall, if you feel depressed about not being able to drive during your “golden years” of high school, don’t be.

While the media may paint you a deceiving picture, when you actually drive it will become evident that it is not all it is hyped up to be.