• Also referred to as a red tide or an algae bloom, the brilliant blue waves are caused by phytoplankton that emit blue light when disturbed. In previous years the event has been rare to find, occurring sparsely. Recently, primarily during the summer of 2023, bioluminescent waves could be seen splashing the shores of Ventura County.

Features

Bioluminescence: Wonders of the bright blue ocean

• On Sept. 21, 2023, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) Girls Volleyball took a devastating loss of 3-1 in a league game against Bishop Diego High School. Students, Addi Fallon 25, Zac Crist 24 and Petra Falcocchia 24, show their support with colorful face paint. Many students also dressed to the theme of the game, which was cowboys and cowgirls.

Girls' Volleyball

Girls’ volleyball beat by Bishop Diego 1-3 in hard fought game

• Throughout the city of Ventura, pollution is washed down to the beaches through rivers and gutters, depositing cups, bags and other various trash onto our beaches and into the oceans.

Features

Just how deadly is stormwater runoff?

• The charming exterior of Butter and Fold attracts many customers at all hours of business. From the elegant teal and gold color scheme to the waft of freshly baked breads, it’s impossible to simply pass by without taking a peek inside.

A&E

Butter and Fold: The perfect place to satisfy your pastry cravings this fall

• At the Olivas Links Golf Course, on Sept. 21, 2023, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) girls golf team faced off in a league match against Bishop Diego. The Dragons played well and won the match with an overall score of 249-303. Pictured above, Maddie Wicks 26 concentrates as she putts her ball toward the pin, finishing hole five with three over par.

Girls' Golf

Recap: Girls’ golf takes Bishop Diego 249-303

• On Sept. 22, 2023, Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) competed in their first Tri-County Athletic (TCAA) league meet. Foothill Tech races with five girls on varsity, including Danika Swanson-Rico 25, Bennett Rodman 26, Kalea Eggertsen 26, Emma Anderson 26 and Isabella Efner 25. They warm-up on the start line, exchanging words of encouragement and waiting for the queue to begin the race.

Cross Country

Cross country starts off strong at first league meet of the 2023 season

• With beloved melodies and nostalgic anthems dating back over a decade, fans and general audience members alike enjoy singing along to her award-winning album, Fearless, from 2008.

A&E

The Eras Tour: an adventure spanning 17 years of music 

• On Sept. 21, 2023, Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) boys water polo hosted a home game against their opponent Malibu High School (Malibu). With lots of splashing, Ethan Ortiz 24 attempts to find an open teammate to give Foothill Tech an advantage to win their league match.

Boys' Water Polo

Recap: Boys’ water polo bested by Malibu

• Students of Foothill Tech try to make button pins of their own design at Back to School Night. This college and career class provides an opportunity to learn life skills and creativity.

Latest

Foothill Tech welcomes parents and guardians at Back to School Night 2023

• In the teen show “The Summer I Turned Pretty,” an adaption of the popular Young Adult novel, protagonist Belly Conklin navigates her love life in a triangle between brothers Jeremiah and Conrad Fisher.

A&E

“The Summer I Turned Pretty”: In Defense of the Fisher Boys

• During F.I.R.E and lunch, members of the Associated Student Body worked hard to prepare an assembly line of delicious In-N-Out for the Class of 2024.

Latest

Class of 2024 connects through In-N-Out Burger and festivities

• On the sunny afternoon of Sept. 19, 2023 girls tennis played against the Villanova Preparatory (Villanova) School Wildcats. The tennis team huddles together and chants in a pregame ritual before beginning their matches.

Girls' Tennis

Girls’ tennis triumphs over Villanova in first league match

• The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is the much anticipated sequel to the critically acclaimed and beloved video game The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Announced in 2019 by Nintendo at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, Tears of the Kingdom was released on May 12, 2023 after nearly four years of waiting. Since its release, the game has been met with widespread acclaim from critics and fans alike. The game directly follows the events of its predecessor, building upon them and expanding an already immense world. Writer Kelly Quinn shares his thoughts.

A&E

“The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom” is victory for gaming

• The three cakes that were reviewed were Lemon, Pumpkin Spice and Red Velvet all topped with a generous amount of cream cheese frosting.

A&E

A dive into Nothing Bundt Cakes: America’s largest specialty cake company

• Comprising of 12 songs, Olivia Rodrigos new album GUTS is her second studio album and was released on Sept. 8, 2023. Rodrigos first studio album, SOUR, released in 2021, was critically acclaimed and beloved by fans, making her second album long anticipated. Writer Isheeta Pal takes on the task of listening to GUTS and reviewing it, delving into its key themes and messaging.

A&E

Album Anatomy: “GUTS”

• A sign displayed in the store highlights the unique vendors in the store as well as promoting shopping from local artists.

A&E

Hey! Friends shows Ventura why shopping locally matters

• Christopher Nolan hits it out of the park once again with his brilliantly done biopic about the man who invented the atom bomb, Oppenheimer.

A&E

“Oppenheimer” is a mind-blowingly impactful film

• In Laufey’s latest album “Bewitched,” released on Sept. 8, 2023, she brings a jazzy and soothing take on the journey of love. Following the success of her previous album, “Everything I Know About Love,” her sophomore album comprises 14 songs, each bringing their own unique spin that is sure to bewitch the listener. Join writer Lily Toreja as she reviews each song and delves into their individual meanings.

A&E

Album Anatomy: “Bewitched” by Laufey

• On the eventful evening of Sept. 14, 2023, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) Dragons faced off against Cate in their third league match. The matchup was very even and came down to the fifth and final set in which the Dragons were unable to secure the win. After bouncing and hitting the ball to set her rhythm, Malia Gray ‘24 (number 9) goes to serve, as her teammates and her alike hope for the best.

Girls' Volleyball

Girls’ volleyball endures a hard loss against Cate

• Jackson Basurto ‘24 and Alfred “Mason” Borkowski ‘24 are in full recruitment mode as students pass by their table. The club offered a fun way to engage with other students while doing something they all enjoy.

Events

Dragons find their connection at Club Rush 2023

Farewell to cursive, a dying art form

Cursive seems to be at its end point. Credit: Claire Stockdill/The Foothill Dragon Press

Cursive.

Sinuous, elegantly drawn out words traced across a sheet of paper, spiraling and flowing like vines of ivy. It’s strange to think that this once popular, graceful form of art has been reduced to something only seen on historical parchment and tattoos. However, as time progresses and technology advances, there seems to be less and less of a reason to continue passing down this skill.

The use of cursive can be traced back to before 100 B.C., though we didn’t begin to call it cursive until 14 A.D. This cursive was really what we in modern times call italics, but it still led to the development of modern day cursive in the 1600s.

In the U.S. it became common practice to teach cursive to children in the second or third grade, but ever sense the rise of the typewriter in the 1960s, the purpose of the complicated system of linking words has been seriously questioned.

The whole point of cursive writing was that it was faster, easier to fit on paper, and it simply looked better. Though as less and less children are taught how to write cursive, more and more faults are found with these points.

Despite what educators may have taught us, cursive is not faster than printing. In order to achieve legible sentences and avoid having the entire line looking like a mixture of squiggles, great amounts of time and effort need to be put into meticulously drawing the letters in the correct form. Not to mention the fact that some people may spend twenty minutes simply trying to remember what the more complicated letters look like. Why would anyone spend 30 minutes struggling to write a five-sentence paragraph in cursive when they easily could have typed it out legibly on the computer in 12 minutes?

As for being easier to fit on paper, I found this point to be completely absurd. Just because the words are joined together doesn’t make them any easier to fit on paper. On the contrary, because the words are joined together, there needs to be more room for the fancy swirls and added parts to each letter. 

Even if you were to ignore these swirls and squish the letters close together, you would once again run into the problem of legibility. I highly doubt a mailman will happily try to decipher your squished together, cursive mess of an address. Chances are he won’t appreciate your attempt at conserving space and just file the letter as “return to sender.”

Last but not least, there’s the stereotype that cursive looks better than printing. The people who so boldly state this are most likely picturing immaculate script writing used on only the most important of documents, instead of the messy loopy scrawl that looks more like how cursive is normally executed.

Cursive might have been beautiful and legible in George Washington’s day and age, but in the present it is difficult for students to decode their own writing.

It’s hard to recall just how many times students have paused in the middle of reading their essays to the class and said, “Wait, I can’t read this. Give me a second to figure out what I wrote.”

If children can’t even read their own cursive, then there is obviously a problem with this system of writing.

There is no point in continuing to teach how to write cursive. It is a dead form of writing that no longer achieves what it set out to do. Speed, legibility, and lettering size are almost impossible to achieve with cursive. Though some people may be able to do all of these things with cursive, it would still take them a fraction of the time to type it on the computer or simply write it in block letters.

Cursive may have been a practical form of writing in the past, but we are now in the 21st century, the era of computers and typing. It’s time to bid a farewell to cursive and wave hello to the future of penmanship.